Question

Properly escaping string attribute values in custom Python transformer's setup dialog ?

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Hi.

I've just built a custom Python based transformer, which utilizes two string attribute values.

One of the string had some embedded quotes ("), which were stripped before given to the Python code.

I tried swapping the quotes with single-quotes, but that crashed the Python execution entirely.

Is there really no automatic escaping of the entered values (into the transformer setup dialog) before passing them on ?

I managed to get it working by entering \\" (backslash-quote) in place of " (quote), but that's really a bad work-around. FME should really do that automagically by itself.

Cheers.

13 replies

Userlevel 4

It's difficult to say without knowing more about how you're using the string attribute values.

Could you please post a sample workspace or some sample code that reproduces the issue?

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

It's difficult to say without knowing more about how you're using the string attribute values.

Could you please post a sample workspace or some sample code that reproduces the issue?

Sure. My transformer is included.

test-prependappend-transformer.fmwt

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

The values in the transformer in the submitted template are escaped. Remove the backslashes to see the failure.

Userlevel 4
Sure. My transformer is included.

test-prependappend-transformer.fmwt

The linked custom transformer isn't available on my machine. You need to either post the transformer .fmx file here so I can install it, or embed the transformer into the workspace and repost.
Userlevel 1
Badge +22

The transformer is included in the template. If this doesn't automatically make it available in the workspace, rename the .FMWT to .ZIP, and extract it from there.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi @lifalin2016, found the fmx, py files.

I think the following modification could resolve the problem.

• In the fmx file, change the parameter type to "TEXT_ENCODED" if the parameter value could contain some special characters, such as double quotation.
  • In the Python script, decode the encoded parameter value with fmeobjects.FMESession.decodeFromFMEParsableText method.
Userlevel 2
Badge +17

• In the fmx file, change the parameter type to "TEXT_ENCODED" if the parameter value could contain some special characters, such as double quotation.
  • In the Python script, decode the encoded parameter value with fmeobjects.FMESession.decodeFromFMEParsableText method.
Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Hi Takashi.

Hmm, TEXT_ENCODED does not appear as a possible type in the docs about GUI-types !?

Is there another documentation to which only VIPs are privy ? :-)

Cheers

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Please read the documentation more carefully. You would find the description like this.

_ENCODED.

This suffix means the value of the parameter will be WWJD encoded. ...

Userlevel 1
Badge +22
Please read the documentation more carefully. You would find the description like this.

_ENCODED.

Ah, I was concentrating on the left hand pane, not realizing that general suffix modifiers were defined. Thanks Takashi for sharing this insight.

What about the fmeobjects.FMESession.decodeFromFMEParsableText method ?

I can find it in the Python reference, but would never have looked for it under FMESession. What's the reason for it being "hidden" here ?

Cheers.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

_ENCODED.

Here.

http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/fmepython/api/fmeobjects/_utilities/fmeobjects.FMESession.decodeFromFMEParsableText.html#fmeobjects.FMESession.decodeFromFMEParsableText

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

_ENCODED.

FYI, the correct syntax is: fmeobjects.FMESession().decodeFromFMEParsableText(...)

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

_ENCODED.

I cannot accept your answer, until you've entered it as one such, Takashi :-)