Skip to main content

Hi All,

Did anyone use FME Workbench converting TIF with TFW files into JPEG format with GPS data embedded?

I am hoping to use Autodesk ReCap to process the raw stereo imagery, but I only have them in TIF format with TFW files.

Autodesk ReCap Photo

Please help, really appreciate!

Thanks,

Reno

Hi @renosungis,

I'm sorry, but the exif tags in JPEG files can only be read by FME, not written.

However, I would double-check that the TIF files are raw stereo imagery, rather than orthorectified. The TFW files do not contain enough information to properly georeference raw stereo imagery.

Thank you @daveatsafe :)

Those TIF files are raw stereo imagery for sure, but I also have orthorectified TIF as well. I think FME now has ability to write EXIF tags into JPEG file (https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/18896/exif-writer.html ), but I have to dig deeper to see how can I do this correctly. However, if the TFW is not enough to georeference raw stereo imagery...I probably should just use the GCP that I have to properly georeference raw stereo imagery using Autodesk Recap tool.

Thank you @daveatsafe :)

Those TIF files are raw stereo imagery for sure, but I also have orthorectified TIF as well. I think FME now has ability to write EXIF tags into JPEG file (https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/18896/exif-writer.html ), but I have to dig deeper to see how can I do this correctly. However, if the TFW is not enough to georeference raw stereo imagery...I probably should just use the GCP that I have to properly georeference raw stereo imagery using Autodesk Recap tool.

Hi @renosungis,

Thanks for the update on the JPEG writer, which does appear to write the tags. Now if only the docs reflected that 🙂

I have created a problem report about the lack of documentation, which should avoid these embarrassments in the future.

For raw imagery, I think you would need GCPs, as well as the focal length and sensor size of the camera. The TFW only provides the parameters of an Affine transformation, which would only be approximate for a non-rectified image.

Hi @renosungis,

Thanks for the update on the JPEG writer, which does appear to write the tags. Now if only the docs reflected that 🙂

I have created a problem report about the lack of documentation, which should avoid these embarrassments in the future.

For raw imagery, I think you would need GCPs, as well as the focal length and sensor size of the camera. The TFW only provides the parameters of an Affine transformation, which would only be approximate for a non-rectified image.

Hi @daveatsafe,

Thank you for the information, and created a problem report about the lack of documentation. I do have a SHP file for Airborne GPS, and all other the camera calibration info. Should I use ortho-rectified imagery instead?, which I do have, but they aren't overlap with each other. The reason I am thinking using FME to write GPS data into JPG file is that I am trying to see if I can use these raw stereo imagery to generate a 3D mesh model using Autodesk ReCap Photo Pro. I have LiDAR cloud points, but they removed the function that allowing people to use cloud points to generate a 3D mesh model. Please see the following video, you will see what I am trying to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W560LxggqeM

Stereo_Model_setups_and_camera_calibration.zip