Skip to main content

Hi

When working with full Desktop FME it is possible to set
where the log file is written to disk through the GUI (or set it to be a
parameter), however when working with the ArcGIS Data Interoperability Extension
version setting the log file location is not available in the GUI (none of the workspace parameters are).

Is it still possible to set where the log file should be
written to on disk through a variable or is this functionality removed for a
reason? Ideally, I would like to write
the log file to sit alongside the data being processed.

ArcGIS Desktop 10.5 which uses FME 2016

Many thanks

Duncan

Hi @dbeaton.

I'm looking into it. May need to ask one of our developers who focuses on Esri integrations.

Kind regards,

Natalie

Hi @dbeaton.

I have received the following information from development:

The "Log File" parameter is not available in Data Interoperability ETL tools. By design, the Data Interoperability Extension logging folder has always been in the user's AppData. Log files are tracked for cleanup, as required by Esri.

In ArcGIS Pro, development is considering the option to override the AppData default log location with a value from the workspace itself. Presumably, any user who overrides the logging location would also need to take over the responsibility of cleaning up the log files.

Hi @dbeaton.

I have received the following information from development:

The "Log File" parameter is not available in Data Interoperability ETL tools. By design, the Data Interoperability Extension logging folder has always been in the user's AppData. Log files are tracked for cleanup, as required by Esri.

In ArcGIS Pro, development is considering the option to override the AppData default log location with a value from the workspace itself. Presumably, any user who overrides the logging location would also need to take over the responsibility of cleaning up the log files.
Hi @NatalieAtSafe

Thank you for the explanation, and having esri clean up is a good reason they are in a set location for beginners, however for any intermediate or advanced users it is likely that control would be wanted over the log location. For example ensuring the log is kept alongside data that was loaded as a record.

Great news this is being considered for the ArcGIS Pro development.

This question is a bit dated and I'd like to update this that log files on a workbench file can be configured to where the author wants the log file to be stored.

Same as FME Flow and Data Interoperability for ArcGIS Pro, Log File can be configured in the Navigator pane, Tool Parameters, Logging group.

However, in the context of using the Workbench app within Pro when the app is launched with the creation of a New Spatial ETL tool in the Catalog pane, the Log File: parameter is not an option.

When created in the manner, the fmw file that is linked to the Spatial ETL tool keeps the log file, wherever the fmw is stored in the Pro Project’s default folder.

As what fmelizard mentioned, the latter is the context for the original post for ArcMap/ArcCatalog users. That pattern is still kept in Pro but with some flexibility when the Workbench app is launched from Windows Start or the Pro Analysis ribbon.