Skip to main content

When attempting to create a writer for an Azure SQL database, I'm getting the following error:

com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. Error: "java.security.cert.CertificateException: Failed to validate the server name in a certificate during Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) initialization.". ClientConnectionId:94d4ffe6-d46d-4b02-8a9a-055ac0e021e8

There appears to be an issue with the certificate chain Microsoft is using to enable secure connections to SQL databases. I was able to work around this issue in another tool by setting trustServerCertificate=True on the connection string. The FME Workbench UI does not allow me to customize the connection string. Is there another way to set this parameter for database connections?

Have you tried the Writer JDBC?

It has a parameter for the connection string. Maybe it allows you to concatenate there the "trustServerCertificate=True" option.

@oscard - In the interim between my original post and your reply I was able to resolve the original certificate issue with the Azure support team that necessitated my customizing the connection string. I unfortunately no longer have a suitable database that would let me test your suggestion, so I'm not able to confirm it would work. However, I believe it would given I used this very same solution in a different tool.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

@oscard - In the interim between my original post and your reply I was able to resolve the original certificate issue with the Azure support team that necessitated my customizing the connection string. I unfortunately no longer have a suitable database that would let me test your suggestion, so I'm not able to confirm it would work. However, I believe it would given I used this very same solution in a different tool.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

I now realize that your question was an "old" one.

I'm glad you could resolve your issue :)