Skip to main content
Question

How to merge or assemble similar types of data in to one large dataset? These are ESRI feature classes. I would like to use the city’s SDE geodatabase as the reader source.

• 14 November 2012
  • 2 replies

I am trying to merge or assemble several feature classes of  water pipe data together, they have similar but not exactly similar schemas. They are Water, Reclaimed water and their laterals as separate feature classes.  I am working on the feature merger tool. I thought that the swizler would work, but I could not get it to run.  I also want to merge data within a feature class, deleting  several  items.

The FeatureMerger is often the go-to Transformer for this type of work, but you might also have to consider using the InlineQuerier. It is a little bit more complex to configure, but on the other hand it is more efficient and makes it easier to do joins on several feature types and attributes at once. Have a look here: http://evangelism.safe.com/fmeevangelist97/

For more advanced transformations, I would also look into the SchemaMapper: http://fmepedia.safe.com/articles/Samples_and_Demos/Mapping-Schemas-using-SchemaMapper

While somewhat complex to get started with, it can be a life-saver on projects where the business rules are complex.

David
Are you looking for Attribute-merging or Spatial-merging?

For Attribute-merging:
  1. Rename the attribute on the features you want to merge to the same (For instance: Water.WaterID -> ID, Water_ReclaimedWater.WaterID -> ID, AnotherWaterFeature.AnotherIDName -> ID.)
  2. Use a FeatureMerger to Join on ID from all datasets. Using for instance the REQUESTOR as Water, and the SUPPLIER as Water_ReclaimedWater and AnotherWaterFeature and all other features you want to merge)
For Feature-merging:
  1. Do same as nr 1 for the ID in each FeatureType
  2. Use a SpatialRelator to see which Features are WITHIN, INSIDE etc.
  3. Then you have the attributes of the other Features. If you want to merge the geometry also you can use a FeatureMerger.