Skip to main content
WIth the release of FME 2014, I notice that the MFAL writer for MapInfo tab has desappeared. We now have the MapInfo TAB (MAPINFO) and the MapInfo TAB (MITAB).

I have noticed that both writers are using MITAB.

See this log:

2014-02-03 15:24:49|   0.3|  0.0|INFORM|Using MapInfo (MITAB) Native Writer $Revision: 113523 $

We have a problems using polygon data created with MITAB. When opened in MapInfo, the nodes of those polygons cannot be snapped and features are deleted when performing geometric operations such Erase or Split.

We were always using MFAL writer because of those issues with MITAB. Why removing MFAL writer in FME 2014? Is Safe Software knowing such issues with MITAB?

Thank you for info on this topic.
Thank you for your answer,

I have tested on a blank workspace with MapInfo TAB writer and it is using MITAB not MFAL as you can see in this screenshot.

I understand what is going on. Im using FME 2014 64bit and as I red here: http://fmepedia.safe.com/articles/FAQ/What-is-the-difference-between-the-MFAL-and-MITAB-Readers-and-Writers

"Presently, the MFAL Reader/Writer uses a Windows 32 bit library, and so is not available on Linux and Windows 64 versions of FME. However, in order to allow Win32 workspaces to run without errors, the MAPINFO Reader/Writer on these platforms is seamlessly redirected to MITAB."

I will have to go back to 32bit.