Skip to main content
I have assembled table in SpatiaLite holding 30 million points of depth sounding observations originating from a number of vessels, each with a large number of files.

To keep some metadata about where each point originates from, I've kept the file path and name in an attribute called "filepath".

From the attribute "filepath", I need to extract a specific part which holds the name of the vessel. I guess it would be some regex in use here?

Example of the attribute's content:

\\folder\\VESSEL_Lola\\folder2\\file1.shp

\\folder\\VESSEL_Maria\\folder1\\file2.shp

\\folder\\VESSEL_Lily\\folder4\\file3.shp

\\folder\\VESSEL_Christine\\folder1\\file4.shp

\\folder\\VESSEL_ClaudiaMaria\\folder2\\file5.shp

\\folder\\VESSEL_Maria\\folder3\\file6.shp

and so on..

I need to extract the "VESSEL_Maria" etc. from the attribute and map to a more explanatory value in e.g. AttributeValueMapper. There is only 12 different "VESSEL_YY" categories, but a lot of different filenames of subfolders and files written in the filepath attribute.

How should I construct the Source Value parameter in AttributeValueMapper or similar?
Hi

you can use a StringSearcher like this:

You will then get the following new attributes, e.g.:

`_matched_characters' has value `VESSEL_Maria'

`_matched_parts{0}' has value `Maria'

David

Hi David,

Thank you, works fine.

Regex is very useful but a bit hard to grasp and construct for me.

More on regex in the docs for the next readers:

http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Workbench/FME_Workbench.htm#Workbench/Regular_Expressions.htm

So far I understand it:

() - matches an empty string - look for something in a text.

\\w - looks for alphanumeric characters (letters and numbers)

* - Indicates zero or more characters.

How the backslashes in my strings are avoided, I am not sure, really.
Hi

Yes, regular expressions can be incredibly powerful, but they're anything but user friendly :-)

We avoid the backslashes since they're not included in the alphanumeric character class "\\w".

The paranthesis (...) is a numbered grouping operator, it matches whatever is inside it, so that you can reference it later using the "_matched_parts{}" list attribute.

If you want to learn more about regular expressions, I can recommend this tutorial: http://www.regular-expressions.info/tutorial.html

David