Skip to main content

Hello we have an AutoCAD drawing that contains some 'wipe out' features i.e. polygons that sit above other data and hide the information that is underneath it.

All of the wipe outs have the 'Display but not plot' setting in AutoCAD but for some reason they are not being read into FME.

I have the 'Ignore Frozen Layers' and 'Ignore Hidden Layers' settings in the reader set to No but that does not seem to make a difference.

The snapshot is an example of where the wipe out is used in the sample drawing

Does anyone have any advice on how to read these layers into FME as I need to replicate what AutoCAD does when creating a TIFF / PDF output.

I'm updating this post to let other users who may come across this question.

Unfortunately, we are unable to read wipeout polygons. We have an existing enhancement request for this (internal reference number: FMEENGINE-9076).

We will be sure to update this post when support is added for these features.

- Andrea

I'm updating this post to let other users who may come across this question.

Unfortunately, we are unable to read wipeout polygons. We have an existing enhancement request for this (internal reference number: FMEENGINE-9076).

We will be sure to update this post when support is added for these features.

- Andrea

Thanks @andreaatsafe, it would be great to have FME read the wipeouts directly but I have figured out a simple work around that will work from both AutoCAD and FME.

• In AutoCAD the drafter needs to draw a polyline over the area they want to wipeout
  • Select the polyline (wipeout)
  • Type wipeout in the command window.
  • Enter "P" for polyline
  • Enter "No" to "Erase polyline"

What you end up with is two identical features, one is the wipeout and will work as intended in AutoCAD, the second is a polyline that FME will read and can then be manipulated to simulate the wipeout in FME.

Hi @deanhowell​ ,

I'm pleased to let you know that FME 2022.0 beta build 22212 and newer has added support for reading Autocad wipeout entities.

You can try the latest beta here: safe.com/beta

-Andrea

Hi @deanhowell​ ,

I'm pleased to let you know that FME 2022.0 beta build 22212 and newer has added support for reading Autocad wipeout entities.

You can try the latest beta here: safe.com/beta

-Andrea

Thanks @andreaatsafe​ i will pass that great news onto our developers so they can incorporate in upcoming releases.​