Skip to main content

Hello,

Is it possible to create a new schema in a PostGres/PostGIS database using FME?

Thanks

Hi @jackyd, yes, you can create a new schema with a SQL statement. e.g.

create schema my_schema
Where? depends on how you write features into tables belonging to the new schema. If you write features with a PostgreSQL/PostGIS writer, for example, you can set the statement to the "SQL Statement to Execute before Translation" parameter of the writer.

0684Q00000ArKRqQAN.png

Note: The execution will fail if the schema exists in the database already, but the error can be ignored if you add a hyphen to the head of the statement, like this.

-create schema my_schema

Hi @jackyd, yes, you can create a new schema with a SQL statement. e.g.

create schema my_schema
Where? depends on how you write features into tables belonging to the new schema. If you write features with a PostgreSQL/PostGIS writer, for example, you can set the statement to the "SQL Statement to Execute before Translation" parameter of the writer.

0684Q00000ArKRqQAN.png

Note: The execution will fail if the schema exists in the database already, but the error can be ignored if you add a hyphen to the head of the statement, like this.

-create schema my_schema

Thank you so much @takashi this just what i need.

@takashi, I've never seen that hyphen trick, is it documented somewhere?

You can also do it like this, which may be slightly more understandable when you stumble upon it later:

CREATE SCHEMA IF NOT EXISTS schema_name

Documentation here: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/sql-createschema.html

@takashi, I've never seen that hyphen trick, is it documented somewhere?

You can also do it like this, which may be slightly more understandable when you stumble upon it later:

CREATE SCHEMA IF NOT EXISTS schema_name

Documentation here: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/sql-createschema.html

Hi @david_r, the hyphen trick is an FME specification that is documented in the SQLExecutor help.

"An individual statement may be preceded with a hyphen, indicating that errors should be ignored."

It's convenient in some cases.

Hi @david_r, the hyphen trick is an FME specification that is documented in the SQLExecutor help.

"An individual statement may be preceded with a hyphen, indicating that errors should be ignored."

It's convenient in some cases.

Thanks! Learnt something new today :-)