Skip to main content
Solved

Cannot access tables to Oracle DB with Reader. But can connect with Transformer OracleQuerier

• 21 January 2013
  • 4 replies

Hello

As the title says I cannot access the tables in the oracle Spatial DB (10.2.0.4.0) with the add Reader command.  The strange thing is, that with the transformer "OracleQuerier" I have access to the tables in the DB. I suspect it is because with the transformer, i can choose which version of Oracle (9i/10g/11) i have. With the reader I cannot.

Do you have any ideas? Do you need more information about my specs?

I use FME 2011 SP4 on WIN32

The connection parameters are correct as i can get a connection to the Oracle DB with SQL Manager, ArcMAP (with add sql layer) and AutoCAD MAP. And as I mentioned with the OracleQuerier as well.

Excuse my english

Regards

Bernard
Hi Bernard - it might be useful to know far you can get with the Readers? Does the log file shed any light with warnings or errors on what the problem might be? Also are you using the correct Oracle Reader... Typically you want the 'Oracle Spatial Object' reader for spatial data and not 'Oracle Spatial Relational'...
Hi 1SpatialDave

I tried both Readers - Oracle Spatial Object and Ralational.

The log File says that i successfully connected to the DB. But also saying that  the "Environment variable ORACLE_HOME is not set." But this log message does also appear when connecting with the OracleQuerier Transformer and there i can access all the tables.

The Oracle Home issue may be a distraction as certainly this is not a necessity, though to remove it from the equation it's easy to resolve. Just go to your Environment Variables and add one called ORACLE_HOME and set the path to where your client or product install is, my path for example is C:\\oracle\\product\\11.2.0\\dbhome_1.

Is that the only warning you get? When you have added your credentials if you go into the Parameters of the Reader and click the 'Table List' button, what happens at that point? Do you get a 'retrieval failed' popup with a log?
Hi 1SpatialDave

Heureka! It worked.

Stupid Me, I forgot to add the tables with the "Table List" Button. Instead I tried to Import Feature Types via the menu.

For Homers like me, maybe the "Table List" Button should be marked red as a mandatory field.

Thanks again Spatial Dave, you saved my day.

Greetings

Bernard