Skip to main content
Question

How can I run one of six workspaces as a subscription to an email publication?

I have the following situation, using FME Server 2017:

I created an Email publication (IMAP) to check for new emails.

Based on the subject line I want to trigger a Topic, triggering a subscription to run a workspace.

How can I trigger different topics for different Subject lines in the Email?

I tried replicating the publication, but FME does not allow multiple publications to the same email account (with different Subject line filters).

Anybody any ideas or experience with this?

Any help is appreciated.

Erik

I've done it before I basically triggered a master workspace to run when the notification comes in and that master workspace reads the notification and differentiates on which workspace should run depending on the subject line and trigger a job submitter with the appropriate workspace,

its a bit awkward but it works

I've done it before I basically triggered a master workspace to run when the notification comes in and that master workspace reads the notification and differentiates on which workspace should run depending on the subject line and trigger a job submitter with the appropriate workspace,

Thanks @ciarab,

But all 6 workspaces I mentioned are already Wrapper workspaces that use FMEServerJobsubmitters to kick off workspaces.

Introducing another level would make the workflow even more complicated.

But as you say, it might be the only solution.

Erik

Thanks @ciarab,

But all 6 workspaces I mentioned are already Wrapper workspaces that use FMEServerJobsubmitters to kick off workspaces.

Introducing another level would make the workflow even more complicated.

But as you say, it might be the only solution.

Erik

@erik_jan I would also be interested in a more elegant way to do this as I expect alot of people have similar needs
@erik_jan @ciarab Perhaps the simpler solution there is for the "master" workspace to not call other jobs, but to trigger certain topics with the FMEServerNotifier. Then there's a bit less complexity because it's not another layer of wrapper workspace; it just triggers a topic that the other six workspaces respond to.

@erik_jan @ciarab Perhaps the simpler solution there is for the "master" workspace to not call other jobs, but to trigger certain topics with the FMEServerNotifier. Then there's a bit less complexity because it's not another layer of wrapper workspace; it just triggers a topic that the other six workspaces respond to.

Oh yes that's a good idea, makes sense to do it like this makes better use of the notifications

This would be an alternative.

But I would rather have the option to have multiple publications with the same email and different subject filters.

Would have the same result without introducing a new level of workspaces.

This would be an alternative.

But I would rather have the option to have multiple publications with the same email and different subject filters.

Would have the same result without introducing a new level of workspaces.

Yes, I tried to do the same and found you can't create more than one publication with the same email address. There are several ways around but I think you're right that it's best to have multiple publications with one email but several topics. I don't see any existing request for this, so my suggestion is to post it as an idea on this site and see how many votes it can gather.

Yes, I tried to do the same and found you can't create more than one publication with the same email address. There are several ways around but I think you're right that it's best to have multiple publications with one email but several topics. I don't see any existing request for this, so my suggestion is to post it as an idea on this site and see how many votes it can gather.

I will create the idea, thanks

I created an idea to allow this in an easy way:

https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/52524/allow-multiple-fme-server-publications-for-one-ema.html