Skip to main content
Solved

Licensing for fail-over (Active/Passive) in FME Server 2016 and newer

• 25 November 2016
  • 1 reply

How does licensing of an active/passive FME Server setup work?

Is it correct that if you do a high available FME server install with a fail over node (active passive) and I have a license with 2 engines that I have to divide those two engines over the two nodes. Meaning my active node will have 1 engine and my passive node will have 1 engine? Or will they both have 2 engines? What happens if I have a license with 3 engines? Can I give 2 engines to the active node and 1 to the passive node?
A single serial number is required to license FME Server 2016 or newer. Use the Web UI to request and install the license file. Once installed, each FME Server Core will be able to start the full number of FME Engines specified in the license file.

Is it correct that if you do a high available FME server install with a fail over node (active passive) and I have a license with 2 engines that I have to divide those two engines over the two nodes. Meaning my active node will have 1 engine and my passive node will have 1 engine?

False. Each core will license the full number of Engines in the license. In this example each core will be able to start 2 Engines.

Or will they both have 2 engines?

Correct.

What happens if I have a license with 3 engines? Can I give 2 engines to the active node and 1 to the passive node?
Passive capacity is a mirror of active capacity. If you have a license file with 3 FME Engines, then each core can start 3 FME Engines.