Skip to main content

Hi, looking for help please. We are using FME Flow 2024.1.3 Build 24627 - linux-x64 on Ubuntu 24.04 and trying to connect to an external FTP server to transfer files from FME Flow. Our client who owns the FTP Server are asking us to authenticate with both username / password and public / private keys ; we’ve supplied our client with the public key which they’ve loaded successfully. 

We can connect ok manually using both username / password and public / private keys, but when we try from FME Flow it fails on the public / private key and forces us to enter the password.

What we are looking for is a way to call using the public / private key and also specifying a password.

I think you could make a pythonCaller script to make this work for now, as I think it really is not implemented.

But to FME… the FTPCaller could be a Package, just like the Emailer? So that it could be updated independent of the FME version?

And of course look into supporting more authentication methods on ftp? Or is sftp on the verge of extinction?

Hello @daraghmccarthy 

Have you tried the instructions for configuring an FME Flow instance on Linux for public/private keys here? The configuration is a little different on Linux than other operating systems as certain environment variable needs to be set.

However, I’m doubtful following the instructions above will work for your use case, as the FTPCaller does not currently support two factor or multifactor authentication due to the underlying libraries. FMEENGINE-79074 tracks adding support for this functionality.

As @jkr_wrk mentions, you may want to look into using Python as a workaround. Python libraries for connecting to SFTP includes paramiko and pysftp.