Solved

Not able to create a new Database Connection on FME Server

• 6 September 2019
  • 12 replies

Badge +2

Hello,

I have just finished to install FME Server (build 19 617).

(Installation with our own Oracle db).

I can connect to the Web interface, launch workspaces, build automations, create new user, publish workspace, etc.

BUT I CANNOT create a new Database Connection (Oracle or geodatabase, etc.). When I tried I get this message :

The rest api "/fmerest/v3/namedconnections/connections" get a code 500 in response.

I also tried to publish a workspace with a database connection but I get this message :

Database connections access failed - FME Server encountered an error and reported the following message.

929028:SQL Query SELECT NCID FROM fme_nc_namedconnections WHERE connectionname = ? AND username IS NULL failed. Error: Unsupported feature

Request to http://xxxxxxxxxx/fmerest/v3/namedconnections/connections returned status code 500.

I found a dirty workaround :

1. Insert a new row in the table fme_nc_namedconnections in the Oracle FME Server database

2. Then the connection is visible via the Web Interface and I can modify it !

So it seems FME Server is able to access the database and modify a configuration but not able to create a new entry.

Do you know how I can fix this ?

Thank you !

icon

Best answer by lau 13 September 2019, 14:37

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

Looks like FME Server has SELECT privileges on the table, not INSERT privileges.

Not sure what user FME Server is using to connect, but granting INSERT on the table could fix the issue.

Hope this helps.

I would report it to Safe: www.safe.com/support as others might face the same issue.

Badge +2

Looks like FME Server has SELECT privileges on the table, not INSERT privileges.

Not sure what user FME Server is using to connect, but granting INSERT on the table could fix the issue.

Hope this helps.

I would report it to Safe: www.safe.com/support as others might face the same issue.

Hello @erik_jan,

Thank you for your reply.

We have checked but it doesn't seem to be that. In addition, we are able to create new users/roles. (New entry in the database). Do you have any other suggestions ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

Hello @erik_jan,

Thank you for your reply.

We have checked but it doesn't seem to be that. In addition, we are able to create new users/roles. (New entry in the database). Do you have any other suggestions ?

Hi @lau,

I do believe that, by inserting a record in the table, you made the next sequence number invalid.

The installation creates a sequence for the primary key of the table (starting with 1).

The inserted record has bypassed the sequence number and inserting a new record will generate an existing primary key.

Possibly that is causing the issue.

The create scripts for the database can be found here:

<fme server folder>\\Server\\database\\oracle

Hope this helps.

Badge +4

Hi, we're having the same problem, and it means we can't add web services either.

I don't think the fme server user privileges are a problem, but will check the sequence number, we had a pretty clean install however.

any other pointers greatly appreciated.

(fme bld 19238, windows server 2012r2, with repo db tier in oracle 11g on sles (i think!) )

Badge +4

Hi, we're having the same problem, and it means we can't add web services either.

I don't think the fme server user privileges are a problem, but will check the sequence number, we had a pretty clean install however.

(fme bld 19238, windows server 2012r2, with repo db tier in oracle 11g on sles (i think!) )

the database looks okay as far as i can tell, and fme server is logging in as the same user that generated the schema.

Badge +4

Does FME Server need to be configured for SSL perhaps?

Badge +2

Does FME Server need to be configured for SSL perhaps?

Hi @nrich,

During the installation we must specify a custom jdbc for Oracle. Could it be related to our problem?

Badge +4

I considered, that as we had to use an older version because of our oracle version, however it has no issues writing/reading to everything else? Have you got SSL configured in fme server, we haven’t yet? That’s my best guess so far.

Badge +2

Hi @nrich,

We fix the issue by re-installing FME Server and using another ojdbc (ojdbc7-12.1.0.2.jar). This is the one used by FME Server 2018 by default.

Badge +1

Hi @nrich,

We fix the issue by re-installing FME Server and using another ojdbc (ojdbc7-12.1.0.2.jar). This is the one used by FME Server 2018 by default.

It works well. Good Job.

Badge +11

Hi @nrich,

Great investigation. I never thought about the jar file you are using as being a factor. That is just mean. Were you using the ODBC6 version by chance?

Badge +2

Great investigation. I never thought about the jar file you are using as being a factor. That is just mean. Were you using the ODBC6 version by chance?

Yes we were using the odbc6 !