Skip to main content

Question of the Week: Show us where you're travelling this summer

This is week four of the August photo contest in the FME Community! If you missed week three, find it here.

Congratulations to our randomly selected week three winners @morgan.cheneir and @gisbradokla. You’ve each won a $25 Amazon gift card.

This week’s challenge: show us a photo of where you’re traveling to or where you’ve already traveled this summer.

No summer travel plans? Share a photo of a past favourite trip. 

How the Contest Works

Each Tuesday in August, our Question of the Week will be themed around photography - from sharing a photo of your workspace view to capturing your furry friends with Safe swag! 

Answer the weekly question and share a photo in our Question of the Week Forum. Each question you answer with a photo earns you an entry for that week’s prize draw and our grand prizes!

What You Can Win: 

• Weekly wins: Two lucky winners will be randomly chosen each week (8 total) to win a $25 Amazon gift card 
  • Community Choice: The photo with the most upvotes at the contest’s end will snag a DJI Action Camera ($300 USD value)
  • Safe Software’s Choice: Our Safer judging panel will pick their favourite photo to win another DJI Action Camera ($300 USD value)

Contest Guidelines

The contest runs from August 6 to August 30, 2024. You must be a registered user in the community to participate. Find the full contest guidelines here.

In August, some friends and I went down to Washington to hike the Enchantments Traverse in a day. It was a very long but epic adventure and some of the best views I’ve seen hiking! Not a restful travel, but a lot of fun. We also loved exploring the nearby town of Leavenworth, Bavarian-styled village in the Cascade Mountains.

I've already done my travel for this summer, it was a lot of cycling. First a 5-day guided gravel tour in the North of England (crossing into Scotland for a bit) which was really great except we had about a day and a half of rain (hey, England!) and midges. 

Got to see Hadrian's Wall though, and had a great time riding.

Shortly after that I went for another trip, with my colleague Veerle, cycling in Spain (on the coast, between Valencia and Alicante). Much warmer and sunnier 😉

And we saw the Greenwich Meridian there! Which, incidentally, I also saw in London in March (and the Broad Street Pump).

And right now I'm on a multi-day FME training course, on-site and so far away we needed a hotel. We're staying in Alkmaar, which is kinda cheesy…

Keeping with the theme, I did bring my bike. Veerle even biked here! I drove, but then biked out to meet her 😎

Spent last week down in San Francisco, check out a driverless rideshare (waymo), the legion of honour museum (lots of great stuff there!), did the Lands End trail tool. Ended up later that week at the AAAE Airport Tech & Operatons Conference in San Jose. FME was part of my presentation on GIS and data integration from different systems. Good to see @donatsafe @dmitribagh and Jolene!!

The Legion of Honor (NW San Fran, yup, that’s Rodin’s The Thinker, one of many castings. Nice collection in the museum of Rodin’s other works 
From the Lands End Trail near the Legion of Honor, “Karl the Fog” dissipated in the afternoon sun, got to see the Golden Gate in all its glory ;) 
YOLO, let’s ride a Waymo in San Fran. No driver, look at all those sensors.
​​​​​​
What’s a shot of San Fran without a trolley on a hill?
Kudos to San Jose Airport for a tour of their new Fire Hall

A shot of plane airside, San Jose Airport, from the Fire Hall. Lots of Southwest planes and private jets, as expected near Silicon Valley ;) 

Not 100% quite summer when I went, but I spent a few weeks in Sri Lanka just before starting with Safe. 

Sigiriya Rock

City of Kandy

Dambulla Royal Cave Temple

Elephant in Yala National Park

My favourite trip of the summer has been a long weekend of camping and hiking in the Badlands of Alberta. 

A weekend paddling in the lakes. Amazingly stayed upright despite the best efforts of the dogs!

Spent last week down in San Francisco, check out a driverless rideshare (waymo), the legion of honour museum (lots of great stuff there!), did the Lands End trail tool. Ended up later that week at the AAAE Airport Tech & Operatons Conference in San Jose. FME was part of my presentation on GIS and data integration from different systems. Good to see @donatsafe @dmitribagh and Jolene!!

The Legion of Honor (NW San Fran, yup, that’s Rodin’s The Thinker, one of many castings. Nice collection in the museum of Rodin’s other works 
From the Lands End Trail near the Legion of Honor, “Karl the Fog” dissipated in the afternoon sun, got to see the Golden Gate in all its glory ;) 
YOLO, let’s ride a Waymo in San Fran. No driver, look at all those sensors.
​​​​​​
What’s a shot of San Fran without a trolley on a hill?
Kudos to San Jose Airport for a tour of their new Fire Hall

A shot of plane airside, San Jose Airport, from the Fire Hall. Lots of Southwest planes and private jets, as expected near Silicon Valley ;) 

Great photos! Sounds like a good trip.

Not 100% quite summer when I went, but I spent a few weeks in Sri Lanka just before starting with Safe. 

Sigiriya Rock

City of Kandy

Elephants in Yala National Park

Dambulla Royal Cave Temple

Looks like an amazing adventure! Adding this to my travel bucket list.

My favourite trip of the summer has been a long weekend of camping and hiking in the Badlands of Alberta. 

What a cool place!

A weekend paddling in the lakes. Amazingly stayed upright despite the best efforts of the dogs!

That is some serious skill!

Our family spent some time on the Oregon coast this summer. We visited Cannon Beach, Seaside and stayed in Tillamook (where you can visit the Tillamook Dairy and try out some awesome ice cream!). A few pics:

Our family spent some time on the Oregon coast this summer. We visited Cannon Beach, Seaside and stayed in Tillamook (where you can visit the Tillamook Dairy and try out some awesome ice cream!). A few pics:

Such a beautiful place!

I’ll be doing a 2 day hike up Jim Kelly Peak near the Coquihalla Mountain.
Hopefully wont be too cold.

I’ll be doing a 2 day hike up Jim Kelly Peak near the Coquihalla Mountain.
Hopefully wont be too cold.

Wow, I need to add that to my hiking list! Looks beautiful. 

It’s winter here, although given we’ve had temperatures in the high twenties (Celsius) this week you wouldn’t think it. Anyway, this was a holiday we did a couple of winters ago to Carnarvon Gorge (it’s too hot to go there in summer!) Here are just a few photos:

View from the visitor centre
Family selfie from Boolimba bluff

A feature of the park is its art gallery featuring some of the best examples of stencilled rock art. It's estimated to be about 4000 years old.

Art gallery

And finally, I wouldn’t be much of a spatial nerd if I didn’t include some form of map

It’s winter here, although given we’ve had temperatures in the high twenties (Celsius) this week you wouldn’t think it. Anyway, this was a holiday we did a couple of winters ago to Carnarvon Gorge (it’s too hot to go there in summer!) Here are just a few photos:

View from the visitor centre
Family selfie from Boolimba bluff

A feature of the park is its art gallery featuring some of the best examples of stencilled rock art. It's estimated to be about 4000 years old.

Art gallery

And finally, I wouldn’t be much of a spatial nerd if I didn’t include some form of map

So cool! Appreciate the map 🤓

Heading to Scotland again next week for a week of hiking...

Hi FMELovers!

I could not grab any FME pet for this trip (which I regret!), but let me share some pics from the “Camino de Santiago”.

What’s this Santiago about?

The Camino de Santiago, also known as the Way of St. James, is a network of ancient pilgrimage routes, here are some of this particular check-points, to not get lost:

Camino’s check point
Camino’s check point (Km: 0.000!!)

that lead to the shrine of the apostle Saint James the Great in the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Spain.

Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela

With aches but happier than ever after completed this quest!

Pilgrims from all over the world walk these routes for spiritual, cultural, or recreational reasons (my case). The most popular route is the Camino Francés, which starts in France, ending in Spain and covers approximately 800 kilometers 😮.

Pic from 1 stop of the stages, views from the hostel:

Along the way, pilgrims experience beautiful landscapes, historic towns, and a sense of community with fellow travelers.

I don’t want to forget about this precious document you need to keep along the stages:

Compostelana certificate

Awarded to those who complete the Camino de Santiago. This document is filled with stamps for each stage you pass in.

Summing up, a great and pleasant (sometimes heavy and exhausting) walk through hundreds of kilometers filled with pure nature:

Water supplies!
Time for resting?

Then, also continued a few kilometers … ~89km more with my trip to Finisterre! 

Finisterre

also known as Fisterra, is a significant location for many pilgrims who walk the Camino de Santiago. Historically, it was considered the “end of the world” (from the Latin Finis Terrae).

Let me share here some “Relive” tracks that I did while doing each stage:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wn0Ak6jKYq-QpP9GeUXXGxJUtdHaexPX/view?usp=sharing

I hope you enjoyed, and I really suggest to try it once in your life!

Juanma

Wow, amazing shots!

Heading to Scotland again next week for a week of hiking...

Have a great trip!

I've already done my travel for this summer, it was a lot of cycling. First a 5-day guided gravel tour in the North of England (crossing into Scotland for a bit) which was really great except we had about a day and a half of rain (hey, England!) and midges. 

Got to see Hadrian's Wall though, and had a great time riding.

Shortly after that I went for another trip, with my colleague Veerle, cycling in Spain (on the coast, between Valencia and Alicante). Much warmer and sunnier 😉

And we saw the Greenwich Meridian there! Which, incidentally, I also saw in London in March (and the Broad Street Pump).

And right now I'm on a multi-day FME training course, on-site and so far away we needed a hotel. We're staying in Alkmaar, which is kinda cheesy…

Keeping with the theme, I did bring my bike. Veerle even biked here! I drove, but then biked out to meet her 😎

Looks like some great summer travels! 🚲

This summer I traveled to Norway. It is so beautiful! Visited Nidarosdomen in Trondheim, drove Atlanterhavsveien, amazing view from Rampestreken. Romsdalen and Trollveggen was breathtaking. Hiked upp o Muen, with 360 view on the top. Found a gigantic moose in Atna. 

We dash moved to a new house this year (2024) summer, so could not go on a vacation.
But that does not stop me from sharing my favorite and memorable past trips within India especially with Mr. FME Lizard!

Padmanabhapuram Palace (2007)
The first entry is from my 2007 trip to Padmanabhapuram Palace, located in the southern part of India, constructed around 1601 CE. The Padmanabhapuram Palace consists of several structures: The clock tower in the palace complex has a 300-year-old clock, which still keeps time. A secret passage, now blocked, through which the king, his immediate family members, and their entourage could escape to another palace, located several kilometers away in the event of any emergency. The palace has an ornamental bedstead made of 64 types of herbal and medicinal woods, and was a gift from the Dutch merchants to the king.

The Herbal Medicine Bed

Most of the rooms here and in other parts of the palace complex have built-in recesses in walls for storing weapons like swords and daggers. The second floor houses the King's resting and study rooms.

The palace layout:

Padmanabhapuram Palace Layout

In this snap you will find me with a FME Desktop 2007 DVD in-front of the palace. You will also notice the clock tower in the back drop.

SRG with a FME Desktop 2007 DVD in-front of the palace and the 300 years old clock tower in the back drop

FME World Tour 2017

The second entry is from 2017, arriving for the FME World Tour event we conducted at Bengaluru in India. The snap is that of Mr. FME Lizard with the FME Coin (from FME World Tour 2016) at the Bengaluru International Airport (BIAL) seated on my luggage!

Mr. FME Lizard with the FME Coin (from FME World Tour 2016) at the Bengaluru International Airport (BIAL) seated on my luggage!​​​​​

A nail biting photo finish article on FME World Tour 2017 India event in our FME Community forum:

This one is from the Chennai International Airport post the FME World Tour 2017 event back home. Mr. FME Lizard posing with the FME Coin ( from FME World Tour 2016) in front of a divine cosmic dancer statue at the airport.

Mr. FME Lizard posing with the FME Coin ( from FME World Tour 2016) in front of a divine cosmic dancer statue at the airport

Kotagiri (2018)
The third entry is from 2018. I had been for a vacation before the FME World Tour 2018, India event to a hill station in South India situated at an elevation of 1,950 m (6,400 ft). Here are some snaps of Mr. FME Lizard watching the dusky sky in Kotagiri on 14 April 2018.

Mr. FME Lizard watching the dusky sky in Kotagiri on 14 April 2018

Mr. FME Lizard perched on wall watching the sunrise over the tea plantations of Kotagiri on 15 April 2018 at 06:25 AM Indian Standard Time

Mr. FME Lizard perched on wall watching the sunrise over the tea plantations of Kotagiri on 15 April 2018 at 06:25 AM Indian Standard Time

Another snap of Mr. FME Lizard perched on wall watching the tea plantations of Kotagiri on 15 April 2018 at 06:35 AM Indian Standard Time

Another snap of Mr. FME Lizard perched on wall watching the tea plantations of Kotagiri on 15 April 2018 at 06:35 AM Indian Standard Time

FME World Tour 2018 Victory
The fourth entry is also from 2018. This is from Chennai International Airport, back home after the FME World Tour 2018 event concluded in New Delhi India on 02nd May, 2018. Mr. FME Lizard is celebrating his FME World Tour success seated on an intricately carved wooden lion (Hoysala Lion). You can also see Mr. FME Lizard seated on the FME World Tour 2018 solar airplane giveaway.

Mr. FME Lizard is celebrating his FME World Tour success seated on an intricately carved wooden lion (Hoysala Lion). You can also see Mr. FME Lizard seated on the FME World Tour 2018 solar airplane giveaway
A closer view of Mr. FME Lizard is celebrating his FME World Tour success seated on an intricately carved wooden lion (Hoysala Lion)

Mysore Palace (2019)

The fifth and the last entry is from Mysore in 2019, where I had been for a vacation. This snap is in front of the famous Mysore Palace completed in 1912, which is the royal residence of the descendants of the Wadiyar dynasty and the seat of the Kingdom of Mysore. The Palace is illuminated with 97000 electric bulbs as part of a light show for the visitors.

The Palace is illuminated with 97000 electric bulbs as part of a light show for the visitors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysore_Palace
https://mysorepalace.karnataka.gov.in/
Another attraction is the Golden Throne made of fig wood covered with panels of thick gold sheets weighing 80 Kgs (176 lbs). The throne is assembled and set for display to public by the royal family once in a year.

The titular head of Mysore Royal Family Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar seated on the Golden Throne inside the Palace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Throne_(Mysore)

Mr. FME Lizard watching the 112 years old Mysore Palace in awe!

Hope that was interesting to everyone!

Happy FME:-)

SRG

This summer I traveled to Norway. It is so beautiful! Visited Nidarosdomen in Trondheim, drove Atlanterhavsveien, amazing view from Rampestreken. Romsdalen and Trollveggen was breathtaking. Hiked upp o Muen, with 360 view on the top. Found a gigantic moose in Atna. 

Looks an incredible trip! What a beautiful place.