Question

python compatibility error with ESRI Python 3.7+

• 28 March 2024
  • 0 replies

Badge +1

Hi, 

I have FME 2023.0.2.1 (64 bit) and ArcGIS Pro 3.1 with Python 3.9.16 installed on my machines.

The FME workspaces I run uses Arcpy 3, so I specified the “python compatibility” parameter in the workspace (under scripting) as “Esri ArcGIS Python 3.7+” and the “Preferred Python Interpreter” under FME options - Translation as “Esri ArcGIS Python 3.9”.

This setting works for all other machines (incl. local and VM) except one machine.

With one machine, I get this python compatibility error: ERROR : A compatible ArcGIS application could not be found or is not licensed for Python Compatibility 'Esri ArcGIS Python 3.7+'

The strange thing is, if I set the python compatibility parameter as Esri ArcGIS Python 3.9 with this machine, it works just fine. The only difference I can think of is maybe the normal python 3.11.4 which is also installed on this machine.

Maybe this is somehow interrupting when FME is searching for python...?

The problem is that I am calling many FME workspaces in one workspace and since 'Esri ArcGIS Python 3.7+'  does not work, I have to set the workspace parameter in each and every other FME workspaces which is called by the main one. I also cannot change the 'Esri ArcGIS Python 3.7+'  setting, since some other machines are still using Esri ArcGIS Python 3.7.

So, does anybody know:

1. how to fix this strange behavior (with Esri ArcGIS Python 3.7+ not working but with Esri ArcGIS Python 3.9. working),
  2. how to find out where/how FME is searching the python,
  3. how to set the specific python (path) to be used in the FME workspaces other than python compatibility parameter in workspace, or
  4. how to pass on the “python compatibility parameter” as a global variable to other workspaces when starting the other workspaces with the workspace runner?

I’m starting the series of FMW workspaces with one main workspace or python, but I’m open to any other options as well. Any solutions or suggestions would be really appreciated!

0 replies

Be the first to reply!