Skip to main content

Why is there a 10 Character limit to V8DGN Cell Names in the V8DGN Writer when the V8DGN file format allows for a 512 character cell name? The old igds days are long gone and I don't understand why FME V8 DGN writers would not use the V8DGN file format attributes sizes? 10 Characters is not enough in the V8 DGN world for a cell name.

Hello. This is a bit unclear, but hopefully I can help. There actually is not a limit of 10 characters for cell names when writing with DGNV8, it just appears so. If you have a cell library with a longer cell name in it, the DGNStyler or the igds_cell_name attribute are able to specify that cell by its longer name and successfully write it.

I expect that the issue is that the exposible format attribute for cell name (igds_cell_name), has a type of char(10). This is a legacy decision, which should be updated. However, because the DGNV8 writer does not adhere strictly to the length of string attribute types on destination feature types, this really does not affect writing of longer cell names.

This could however be an issue for the DGNV8 reader, where the same exposed cell name attribute and type could be mapped to a writer feature type which could strictly truncate the name based on the length specified in the type.

This exposed attribute type length will be fixed in FME 2018.