Skip to main content

I have been given a sample OBJ file by a customer. It fails to load in the object inspector - which just shows a bounding box. In a workbench I get a series of messages like this:

Loaded module 'OBJ' from file 'C:\\Program Files\\FME\\plugins/obj/obj.dll'

FME API version of module 'OBJ' matches current internal version (3.8 20170315)

OBJ Reader: Reverse Face Order: 'No'

OBJ Reader: Reading in Variable FeatureType mode

OBJ Reader: Opening Dataset: 'C:\\AH_drive\\OneDrive - ESRI (UK) Ltd\\Workspace\\Glasgow3D\\CityModel\\Apr2018\\Carlton_Place_65-67_OBJ_01MAY18.obj'

OBJ Reader: Token Unsupported: 'Ni' - Ignored

OBJ Reader: continue reading with next good feature

OBJ Reader: Token Unsupported: 'Tf' - Ignored

OBJ Reader: Token Unsupported: 'illum' - Ignored

OBJ Reader: Token Unsupported: 'Ke' - Ignored

The exported Esri multipatch is correctly transformed but just has the building windows (the walls, roof etc are missing). I can load the OBJ file in CityEngine so I'm fairly sure I've got all the resources for it etc..

Hi @ahind,

Would you mind sharing the OBJ file, so I can try to find the source of the problem you are seeing? If you don't want to make it public, you can send a download link (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) to me at dave.campanas@safe.com.

Hi @ahind,

Thank you for the file.

I opened it in both FME 2017.1 and FME 2018, and saw some of the problems you described in FME 2017.1. However, FME 2018 seems to display the building correctly.

If you aren't presently using FME 2018, please download and install the latest release from www.safe.com/download.

The warnings shown in the log file are just noting the material tokens FME doesn't support. FME supports basic textures, but not illumination models or bump mapping.

Hi @ahind,

Thank you for the file.

I opened it in both FME 2017.1 and FME 2018, and saw some of the problems you described in FME 2017.1. However, FME 2018 seems to display the building correctly.

If you aren't presently using FME 2018, please download and install the latest release from www.safe.com/download.

The warnings shown in the log file are just noting the material tokens FME doesn't support. FME supports basic textures, but not illumination models or bump mapping.

Thanks Dave. Ran it through FME 2018 and now have a rescaled model sat in the right part of the world. Happy days! Many thanks