Skip to main content

Hello,

I'm currently working on .dgn files  

I am using FME to make attribute changes and adjustments. However, I have the impression that FME automatically divides the objects or cells in my plan, as soon as I enter my .dgn data in the script, without any transformers being used... 

Here's an overview of the data before and after FME:

imageimage I also tried using an aggregator. But the objects and geometry in the output dgn file are still not aggregated as in the original dgn file (see the second photo).

I would like the geometry of the objects not to be affected. Have you ever had this problem, and if so, do you have a solution to solve it?

Thank you in advance.

Hi @dozhwal​,

You're spot on– by default, FME reads DGN (and DWG) files with cells (or blocks) expanded, which can be undesirable if you are writing back to cad. To keep your cells together as cells, in the DGN reader, you'll want to disable 'Expand Named Cells' and 'Expand Unnamed Cells'. Basically anything that will split, expand, or drop, you'll want to turn off to keep the original geometry through to the output, such as disabling 'Drop Dimensions'.

Check out the Microstation reader documentation for more details on the parameters, and this article on Handling Microstation Dimensions gives a bit of detail on preserving components of the file; the screenshot also shows the Expand Cells checkbox.