Skip to main content

Snowflake recently released their new "geometry" data type. Not to be confused with the existing "geography" data type. The geometry data type can contain geometries in other coordinate systems, not just WGS84. Whereas geography is specifically WGS84.

See Geography vs Geometry data types documentation here

Geospatial Data Types — Snowflake Documentation

When will FME support writing of the new snowflake geometry data types? Is there a way to do this right now, or will it be a future release of the Snowflake Spatial writer?

It seems that currently FME does not yet support coordinate systems within Snowflake geometry. However, we do want to support the new “geometry” data type introduced by Snowflake. Unfortunately, it has not been decided what version it will be supported on in the future but we are currently working on this. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks Evie. I was in a call with Safe today though and this was added in 2022.1.2.0.

FME 2022.1.2.0 b22627 20220831

------------------------------

Update] Snowflake Reader/Write: Add Geometry data type support

@Evie Lapalme​  @tris_w​ Did this ever get added to the product? I'm using FME 2023 and still can only see how to wite GEOGRAPHY data type to SnowFlake and no way to do GEOMETRY data type?

@Evie Lapalme​  @tris_w​ Did this ever get added to the product? I'm using FME 2023 and still can only see how to wite GEOGRAPHY data type to SnowFlake and no way to do GEOMETRY data type?

Hi @alanbc​ Tris is correct that this has been added to the latest version of FME 2022 and FME 2023. If you are not able to read or write your geometry then please submit a support case with us. Internal ticket FMEENGINE-73853

After a little more reading and experimenting I figured out a workable workflow. I was expecting the choice to use GEOGRAPHY rather than GEOMETRY type to be a writter parameter (or automatic if your data was something other than LL-WGS84) but you need to create a new geometry and as an attribue set the type to geometry in the reader.

image.pngimage 

Hello@alanbc

Thank you for sharing your insights and experience! It's truly valuable to learn from your experimentation. I was also curious about how the new Snowflake 'geometry' data type worked, and your explanation about setting the type to 'geometry' in the reader and creating a new attribute is a game-changer. Your visual aid makes it even more understandable. Your willingness to share your findings is greatly appreciated and will undoubtedly help others who might be navigating the same challenges.

Thank you.