Skip to main content

I am very new to FME and was wondering if it's possible to convert las/laz files to kml directly. Apparently it's not a straightforward process and I'd appreciate any suggestions on what transformers to use, in what order, etc. Thank you very much in advance!

Hi @mhalubok, a possible way I can think of is, use the PointCloudCoercer to convert the point cloud feature to individual point features and then writer them into a KML dataset.

Thank you for the suggestion @takashi

Using the PointCloudCoercer actually worked in terms of creating a kml file. Another issue here is that this kml file is a very big one, and I guess there should be a way of compressing it. I made a kmz file out of the kml one, but the resulting kmz file is still on the scale of dozens of megabytes which makes Google Earth crush every time it attempts opening it. In any case, it's not a FME desktop problem anymore.

Thank you for the suggestion @takashi

Using the PointCloudCoercer actually worked in terms of creating a kml file. Another issue here is that this kml file is a very big one, and I guess there should be a way of compressing it. I made a kmz file out of the kml one, but the resulting kmz file is still on the scale of dozens of megabytes which makes Google Earth crush every time it attempts opening it. In any case, it's not a FME desktop problem anymore.

What about using the PointCloudThinner to reduce the number of points in the point cloud and/or using the Tiler to split the point cloud feature into multiple smaller features?