Skip to main content

Hello, new to FME here,

I have to convert an RVT file to a point cloud file (x, y, z, r, g, b), but I haven't been able to extract color. I know this should be really simple, but I haven't been able to find much of anything on the RevitNativeReader. I saw a couple posts from 2019 that said the format was still in development, but I figure color has to be available somehow. I've been able to chuck the RVT features into a PointCloudCombiner and extract coordinates, but how would I get the color of each point? Do I need to manually map materials to colors? My output file says everything is black, so something must be going wrong.

Hi @matt_crow,

Our development team has been actively working on the native Revit reader for quite some time. FME 2020 has brought the reader to a good place but we're still leaving the "technology preview" label on there while we add some more features.

Colour is supported by the native Revit reader when we read the geometry as surfaces. I would recommend sending only surfaces through the PointCloudCombiner, so you could use a GeometryFilter prior to the PointCloudCombiner. In the GeometryFilter, you will want to set it to output "Surface", and set both parameters: Homogenize Collections and Instantiate Geometry Instances to "Yes".

If you have any feedback for the native Revit reader, do let us know!

- Andrea

Hi @matt_crow,

Our development team has been actively working on the native Revit reader for quite some time. FME 2020 has brought the reader to a good place but we're still leaving the "technology preview" label on there while we add some more features.

Colour is supported by the native Revit reader when we read the geometry as surfaces. I would recommend sending only surfaces through the PointCloudCombiner, so you could use a GeometryFilter prior to the PointCloudCombiner. In the GeometryFilter, you will want to set it to output "Surface", and set both parameters: Homogenize Collections and Instantiate Geometry Instances to "Yes".

If you have any feedback for the native Revit reader, do let us know!

- Andrea

Excellent, that worked! Thank you!