Skip to main content
Hi,

I'm trying to use a gdb file with FME 2013 but am getting this error:

|ERROR |Geodatabase Error (-2147220965): This release of the GeoDatabase is either invalid or out of date.

|ERROR |Could not open File Geodatabase dataset `D:/flood/GDB/uFMfSW_Banded_Vector_SK00.gdb' for reading.

I'm using the "Esri Geodatabase (File Geodatabase API)" reader. I do have ArcGIS 10.1 installed on the same machine, but for some reason FME isn't picking it up so I can't use the ArcObjects one.

How do I read this?
Hi,

which version is your File Geodatabase? The File Geodatabase API only works with databases starting with version 10.0 of ArcGIS. This is not a limitation of FME.

Have a look here for more information.

David
You can upgrade your GBD with ArcGIS 10­.1 : http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//002p000000p2000000
I have to admit, I don't really understand GeoDatabases and their versionings as we never use them. I just know this is a GDB file.

ArcGIS 10.1 (Desktop).

Both FME 2012 SP4 and 2013 SP4 (both 32bit and 64bit for both)

It seems that the extra ArcGIS readers are there with 32bit FME, but not 64bit FME.

The ArcObjects reader works with FME 32bit.

Thanks.
Hi Jonathan,

Sometimes when I am having difficulty with datasets, I try opening them up using the FME Data Inspector first.

Next, I try removing and adding the reader again, if you had opened up a workspace that had an old reader in it, FME might give you an error.

A third troubleshooting thing I would try is to check out the data in it's native environment, ArcGIS. Go to ArcCatalog, can you open up the geodatabase, and browse to the layers?  Do you know if the File GDB (uFMfSW_Banded_Vector_SK00.gdb) was created using ArcGIS 10.1? if not, you should check into PhilippeB's recommendation and upgrade your GDB to version 10.1.

Good luck,

Fiona

Hi Fiona,

Excellent suggestions. I've done them already, but ArcGIS wasn't being helpful saying what version it was. As noted it does appear to be working now though - it was a 32bit/63bit thing.

Thanks!

Jonathan