Skip to main content

Hi,

• We are migrating our FME Server to Azure in Q1 or Q2 2020 as part of a organisation wide migration.

Is the current recommendation still: 'You can deploy FME Server on Azure by performing a regular install using our available installers (https://www.safe.com/downloads/) on any Azure Virtual Machine that runs a supported operating system and meets the minimum system requirements'

https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/77140/deploy-fme-server-to-azure.html

• @stewart.harper I see that there is a Kubernetes deployment available. Is it still in tech preview? What are the plans for 2020? Is there any change on the upgrade path? 'With regards to the FME Server Kubernetes deployment, for the tech preview, the upgrade path is not yet tested.'

We currently run FME Server 2019.0 on a single server installed using the express install and IIS Application Request Routing configured (acceptance/production servers).

• In terms of the azure server what type of storage is recommended? Is the standard SSD recommended for both the OS and separate application install and temp directory location. We currently install the OS on one disk and the application and temp directory on another.

Any information or your experiences appreciated.

Thanks,

Annette

Stedin, Rotterdam

You have two options for deploying FME Server onto Azure currently, they are as follows:

- Kubernetes deployment: The Kubernetes deployment is out of tech preview for FME Server 2019.1. Here is the official documentation: (http://docs.safe.com/fme/2019.2/html/FME_Server_Documentation/AdminGuide/Kubernetes/Kubernetes-Deploying-Intro.htm). I would recommend to use this deployment method if you want a highly available (HA) deployment of FME Server and have knowledge of Kubernetes. Note, only Linux is supported.

- Single host deployment: You can, of course, launch a virtual machine and install FME Server on it manually as you appear to be doing now.

A third option should be available in the Autumn:

- Multi VM-deployment: This will enable an HA deployment of FME Server on multiple Windows VMs. We will leverage Azure Resource Manager to create a template (YAML file) that enables you to launch an FME Server on multiple VMs with one click. We will try to make this available on the Azure Marketplace.

In terms of the upgrade path for the FME Server Kubernetes deployment. We are planning to support enabling you to upgrade FME Server via the helm command for hotfix upgrades, i.e. 2019.1.1.1 to 2019.1.1.2. For major upgrades, i.e. 2019.1 to 2019.2 you would still need to deploy another FME Server and then migrate manually.

With regards to the storage, your current setup is fine for a single host deployment. That is how we do things on FME Cloud with the OS on one disk, temp files and the application on another disk. If you are deploying a HA version of FME Server you would need to use Azure Files Premium which we have tested with our Kubernetes deployment.

You have two options for deploying FME Server onto Azure currently, they are as follows:

- Kubernetes deployment: The Kubernetes deployment is out of tech preview for FME Server 2019.1. Here is the official documentation: (http://docs.safe.com/fme/2019.2/html/FME_Server_Documentation/AdminGuide/Kubernetes/Kubernetes-Deploying-Intro.htm). I would recommend to use this deployment method if you want a highly available (HA) deployment of FME Server and have knowledge of Kubernetes. Note, only Linux is supported.

- Single host deployment: You can, of course, launch a virtual machine and install FME Server on it manually as you appear to be doing now.

- Multi VM-deployment: This will enable an HA deployment of FME Server on multiple Windows VMs. We will leverage Azure Resource Manager to create a template (YAML file) that enables you to launch an FME Server on multiple VMs with one click. We will try to make this available on the Azure Marketplace.

In terms of the upgrade path for the FME Server Kubernetes deployment. We are planning to support enabling you to upgrade FME Server via the helm command for hotfix upgrades, i.e. 2019.1.1.1 to 2019.1.1.2. For major upgrades, i.e. 2019.1 to 2019.2 you would still need to deploy another FME Server and then migrate manually.

With regards to the storage, your current setup is fine for a single host deployment. That is how we do things on FME Cloud with the OS on one disk, temp files and the application on another disk. If you are deploying a HA version of FME Server you would need to use Azure Files Premium which we have tested with our Kubernetes deployment.

Thanks Stewart for the information. We discussed the options with our migration team and it looks like we will go with the single host deployment.

can you configure AzureAD into 2019.1 instead of Active Directory?