Skip to main content

Is there a way to turn on logging of the SQL statements that FME is issuing to Oracle in Workbench 2014?

Prior to FME 2024 there was an option to filter certain kinds of log messages. You can find it in Tools → FME Options → Translation → Log Message Filter.

The options are to filter ERROR, WARN, INFORM and STATISTICS (and DEBUG, but that’s off by default and should be off unless you’re explicitly told to switch it on). 

This is however a Workbench-wide setting, not workspace-specific and it will also filter out all of those messages. As far as I can tell there’s no way to supress logging of specific messages in a specific workspace.

Can you explain why you want this? Also… is it a typo or are you still using FME 2014? That’s 10 years old now and Safe is on a 3-year support schedule.

The client I am working for wants to see the SQL that is generated for FME to do its updates in Oracle and are asking me to find out how to turn on logging (workspace-wide is fine) to see the SQL statements.

It was not a typo - for the FME setup I am looking into, they are using 2014 - the company does have other setups that are on newer versions.

In 2014, there is no “Translation” under FME Options.

Oh, on! I completely misread that and thought you meant to turn it off, sorry! (note to self: coffee first, then FME, not the other way around). 

I don’t think there is a way to log the actual SQL that’s being used, it only shows up if there’s something wrong.

Also, 10 years is a long time in software, if you can get them to update that would be highly recommended. 

No worries at all - I really appreciate you taking the time to reply in the first place.  Working through my coffee now 🙂.  Yep, I think they are going to upgrade that at some point.

Thanks again.