Question

Backup & Restore admin tab vs backupConfiguration.fmw

• 11 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge +7

G’day, 

I have been having all sorts of issues trying to get the Out of the Box backupConfiguration.fmw tool to run via a schedule, I don't think it has worked properly since we installed FME Server about 6 years ago, we have just kind of ignored it and never made repairing it a priority. At one point we recreated the schedule from scratch as a result of me creating this topic (BackupConfiguration.fmw "Unable to retrieve backup from FME Server..." | Community (safe.com)), but that win was short lived.

I have only just now realized there is a tab on the admin panel of FME Flow called “Backup & Restore”, and I am wondering if someone can tell me the difference between the two?

The Backup & Restore tab has apparently run fine for as long as our logs go back (Sept 2023).

Am I duplicating effort by trying to get backupConfiguration.fme to run? Or are they separate things?

Just for interest's sake I have attached the log of the most recent run of backupConfiguration.fme including the errors

57 2024-4-11 10:14:16 | HTTPCaller (HTTPFactory): [1]: HTTP transfer error: HTTP/FTP Transfer: Failed to create file 'C:\ProgramData\Safe Software\FMEFlow\resources\backups' for resource download
58 2024-4-11 10:14:16 | HTTPCaller (HTTPFactory): An error occurred while accessing the URL 'https://PANDORA:443/fmerest/v3/migration/backup/download'
59 2024-4-11 10:14:16 | The below feature caused the translation to be terminated
60 2024-4-11 10:14:16 | Storing feature(s) to FME feature store file `C:\ProgramData\Safe Software\FMEFlow\resources\logs\engine\current\jobs\80000\job_80657_log.ffs'

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi @benvk ,

They are both doing the same thing, creating that backup file. However, the Backup & Restore is for migrating the configuration of your FME Flow instance to another instance. Whereas the Backup configuration workspace allows you to perform regular (scheduled) backups of your Server configuration. You can choose to schedule a backup of your server configuration for the time range that works best for you and your organization.

This resource helps differentiate the two. See here for more information. 

In your job log, it looks like it’s running into a permissions issue with creating the backup file. Did you input the correct password for the admin user? And is your admin user part of the fmesuperuser role? 

Is this what the parameters look like for your workspace from?

Hope this helps!

Kezia