Question

Workspace running on FME Server will not acquire an ArcGIS licence

• 19 April 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

We have an issue where a Workspace running on FME Server will not acquire an ArcGIS licence and we get the error message 

"Unable to perform any licensing related tasks. Please check your Esri ArcGIS Compatibility workspace parameter, found in Navigator -> Workspace Parameters -> Translation. This 64-bit version of FME requires ArcGIS Desktop along with 64-bit Background Geoprocessing; ArcGIS Pro; or ArcGIS Enterprise. Refer to this this article http://fme.ly/qua for more details"

It seems the issue is related to user accounts and licenses used to run FME and ArcGIS, but I'm having trouble understanding how to set this up. 

I have tried with ArcGIS PRO 3.0.3 with Single User Advanced license or Named User Advanced License, FME Server 2022.2 with services running as either domain user with Administrator access or as a local user who is member of the local Administrator group. The FME Server and FME desktop versions match, Esri ArcGIS Compatibility is set to ArcGIS Pro.

Does anyone know what the correct combination of user accounts and licenses needed to achieve this?

8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi @fjanson​ ,

While it is technically possible for FME Server to use ArcGIS Pro, the use of ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro in a server context violates Esri's license terms. Please see Esri’s article on this topic, "How does Data Interoperability relate to FME? ".

Please see the article Using FME Server with Esri ArcGIS Products for more information on alternative supported options. 

Hope this information helps.

Kezia

Badge

Hi @fjanson​ ,

While it is technically possible for FME Server to use ArcGIS Pro, the use of ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro in a server context violates Esri's license terms. Please see Esri’s article on this topic, "How does Data Interoperability relate to FME? ".

Please see the article Using FME Server with Esri ArcGIS Products for more information on alternative supported options. 

Hope this information helps.

Kezia

Hi

I know about this restriction and will of course not use ArcGIS Pro for this purpose in a production environment. I am having the same issue when using ArcGIS Server, so the question still stands. Your answer says it is technically possible, so I am still trying to figure out how.

I have also been through every article I can find regarding this issue, but cannot find a description anywhere of how to set this up regarding users.

Best

Fredrik

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi

I know about this restriction and will of course not use ArcGIS Pro for this purpose in a production environment. I am having the same issue when using ArcGIS Server, so the question still stands. Your answer says it is technically possible, so I am still trying to figure out how.

I have also been through every article I can find regarding this issue, but cannot find a description anywhere of how to set this up regarding users.

Best

Fredrik

Hi @fjanson​ ,

Unfortunately, I cannot provide support on using ArcGIS Pro and FME Flow, so I'll leave it to the Community to see if they have any suggestions.

As for ArcGIS Server, what version are you using? Do you have both ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Server on the same machine as FME Flow? There have been issues with having both products on the same machine as FME Flow. Please uninstall ArcGIS Pro when testing ArcGIS Server and FME Flow.

Kezia

Badge

Hi

Best

Fredrik

Hi!

So I have uninstalled ArcGIS Pro and installed and licensed ArcGIS Server on the machine. The FME Services (except FME Server Database) are running as the same user as ArcGIS Server. This is a local user who is a member of the local Administrators group. Still the same result, it does not even try to select a license. Here is an exerpt from the translation log:

• Creating reader for format: Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb)
  • Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for reader named `GEODATABASE_SDE'
  • Loaded module 'GEODATABASE_SDE' from file 'F:\\Program Files\\FME22.2.3\\plugins/..\\geodatabase9.dll'
  • FME API version of module '..\\geodatabase9' matches current internal version (4.0 20220615)
  • Opening the Esri Geodatabase reader
  • Unable to perform any licensing related tasks. Please check your Esri ArcGIS Compatibility workspace parameter, found in Navigator -> Workspace Parameters -> Translation. This 64-bit version of FME requires ArcGIS Desktop along with 64-bit Background Geoprocessing; ArcGIS Pro; or ArcGIS Enterprise. Refer to this this article http://fme.ly/qua for more details
  • An error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details
  • Translation FAILED with 1 error(s) and 1 warning(s) (0 feature(s) output)
Badge +7

Hi

Best

Fredrik

Hi @fjanson in FME Workbench, try changing the Esri ArcGIS Compatibility (under Workspace Parameters > Translation) to Auto and then republish to FME Flow. If that produces the same error, try Esri ArcGIS Pro as the compatibility setting. I know that is counterintuitive, given ArcGIS Pro has been removed, but in certain situations, it will force FME Flow to pick up the ArcGIS Server license. For example, if you have chosen to install ArcMap Runtime Support. Please see https://community.safe.com/s/article/using-fme-server-with-esri-software

If this still doesn't work, please submit a case

Badge +14

Just tackled this error for a customer. The thing that resolved it was getting a single use license of Pro. Although I'm not an esri licensing expert, I would think they wouldn't have an issue if you authorize a license of ArcGIS Server and keep it for the sole purpose of FME Server (and not use it anywhere else - thus you're licensing your FME server) and then also authorize a single use license of Pro for the sole purpose of FME Server, which you would be using.

Badge +1

This is an issue that I had while building FME Flow and I am going to leave the solutions that I implemented here in case this helps anyone else in their troubleshooting.

I approached our ESRI vendor and they were fine with us using ArcGIS Pro on our FME server machine, we converted one of our licenses to a Single use license so that we didn’t need to worry about AGOL signing itself out periodically.

We are running FME Flow 2023.2 using a service account (FME Flow Application Service, FME Flow Core Service and FME Flow Engine service are all using the service account. FME Flow Database service is still logged in as the local system).

• ArcGIS Pro was upgraded to the latest version 3.1.0
  • Service account is local admin
    ESRI requires the FME service account to be an administrator in order to access licensing. FME documentation - (Directory and Account Permissions (safe.com))

• Confirmed the service account has full control on the ArcGIS Pro install location
  • Run ArcGIS Pro as the service account (ArcGIS Pro needs to be run as the service account first so that it can create the license files its looking for in C:\Users\accountname\AppData\Local\ESRI_Licensing\lss.dat)  
  • Run the workspace successfully on the server machine and ensure the Workspace compatibility is set to ArcGIS Pro.
Badge +4

Hi, I solved this by using the Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb Open API) instead the regular ones. 
This applies also for writers in .gdb (OPEN API).

Hope this is useful.

Regards.