Solved

Pinging IP Address

• 26 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Greetings,

I’m writing FME workspace that should be able to scan a list of IP Addresses for modems. The result will have reachable:yes/No attribute to determine the IP address is reachable or not.

First thing to think of is using python caller to invoke the ping tool of OS. I did it that way and it’s working. However, the client policy demands workflows that are only built-in. No custom coding, and I want to make sure that there is no built-in transformer that may do the task?

Is there a built-in transformer that can check if a networked IP Address is reachable or not. Is there one that can be tweaked to do so ?

Thank you

-Moataz.

icon

Best answer by hkingsbury 26 March 2024, 20:43

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

The PythonCaller is ‘built in’. There is no external python script and python itself is part of FME.
Another alternative could be SystemCaller, but i’d argue (to a degree) that this functions the same as the PythonCaller - in that it calls an external scripting language, in the case of the SystemCaller, CMD/Bash depending on your system

Badge +1

The system caller did the job for IP pinging, thank you. I will push it a bit further. 

Is there a way to make this system caller (IP Pinging) work on multiple features in parallel? It currently consumes feature by feature which takes quite some time.

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

The system caller did the job for IP pinging, thank you. I will push it a bit further. 

Is there a way to make this system caller (IP Pinging) work on multiple features in parallel? It currently consumes feature by feature which takes quite some time.

Yes, you could embed it in a custom transform and enable parallel processing, but the overhead of doing that will negate any benefits of running multiple at once. It will be faster to do one by one.