Solved

Navisworks BIM data conversion

Badge +5

I'm looking for support with Navisworks (AutoDesk) BIM data (.nwd .nwf .nwc). I need to extract the full 6D information from the model and output it to other formats but also update the 6D information back to the model. Navisworks imports IFC but does not seem to export it. DWF, which can be written with Navisworks, does not hold the 6D information.

Any help would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by kailinatsafe 24 August 2023, 16:58

View original

23 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Sadly the Navisworks format itself is not supported by FME (I guess you knew this already). We have an enhancement request (PR#54463) so I have added your request to it and increased the priority.

In the meantime, hopefully another user here has a workaround...

Badge +5

Aaron suggested to check for a JDBC option but I couldn't quite figure out how to go about that. Any suggestions?

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Aaron suggested to check for a JDBC option but I couldn't quite figure out how to go about that. Any suggestions?

I really can't imagine there would be an option for that. JDBC is for database connections, and I don't think nwd files are that kind of format. I've done a few searches and nothing tells me you could read them that way or connect to Navisworks through JDBC. All I can think of is to check the help/support documentation for Navisworks and see if it mentions JDBC. If it does, then we're in business. But I suspect it won't.

Badge +5

I really can't imagine there would be an option for that. JDBC is for database connections, and I don't think nwd files are that kind of format. I've done a few searches and nothing tells me you could read them that way or connect to Navisworks through JDBC. All I can think of is to check the help/support documentation for Navisworks and see if it mentions JDBC. If it does, then we're in business. But I suspect it won't.

Thanks Mark, that's what I was looking for but couldn't find anything either.

Sadly the Navisworks format itself is not supported by FME (I guess you knew this already). We have an enhancement request (PR#54463) so I have added your request to it and increased the priority.

In the meantime, hopefully another user here has a workaround...

Hello Mark!

Do you have any updates on the enhancement request (PR#54463)? I am also looking to translate a Navisworks file to GIS so that we can publish a flat 2d view of a Navisworks model to a web GIS interface.

Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +26
Hello Mark!

Do you have any updates on the enhancement request (PR#54463)? I am also looking to translate a Navisworks file to GIS so that we can publish a flat 2d view of a Navisworks model to a web GIS interface.

Thanks!

Sorry @stevemossfeldt there's been no movement on that enhancement request. I've added your need for it and increased the priority again. On the positive side there are a number of requests now and a high user priority, so it gets a higher development priority because of that. On the downside it's going to be a big project to add this format, so I can't see it happening soon. Definitely not for 2018.

If you (or anyone) has a compelling business case - for example a huge sale depends on the format - then do let us know, either via support or our sales team, and we'll do what we can to help.

Badge +5
Sorry @stevemossfeldt there's been no movement on that enhancement request. I've added your need for it and increased the priority again. On the positive side there are a number of requests now and a high user priority, so it gets a higher development priority because of that. On the downside it's going to be a big project to add this format, so I can't see it happening soon. Definitely not for 2018.

If you (or anyone) has a compelling business case - for example a huge sale depends on the format - then do let us know, either via support or our sales team, and we'll do what we can to help.

Thanks Mark. We now have several cases where we would like to consume the Navisworks format to bring BIM models into GIS. Many projects use Navisworks to collate and manage the federated model. Going back to the individual models doesn't work so well as information might be added or changed in Navisworks.

I might get back to you as suggested with a specific case.

Thanks for following up on this.

Badge

This topic needs more support. This is very much related to any BIM project and later down the line to Augmented / Virtual Reality. Efforts in supporting augmented reality format goes along with more support on BIM format.

@mark2atsafe Any news with PR#54463 ? Thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

This topic needs more support. This is very much related to any BIM project and later down the line to Augmented / Virtual Reality. Efforts in supporting augmented reality format goes along with more support on BIM format.

Sorry, no update on that. Other customers have asked for it recently too, and I know it is closely aligned with AR efforts, so I'll try and push it forward as best I can. I'll let you know whatever I hear back.

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Sorry, no update on that. Other customers have asked for it recently too, and I know it is closely aligned with AR efforts, so I'll try and push it forward as best I can. I'll let you know whatever I hear back.

Oh, fyi (more a note to myself) the new reference number is FMEENGINE-9601

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

So the news I have is that the 3D/BIM team are working on three key items: polishing the Revit reader, completing ArcGIS 3D support, and adding the Navisworks format. Navisworks is the lesser priority right now, but I can say that it's almost certainly going to happen soon (I am rarely that specific about future plans so you know I got this from the top). My guess is that it'll be a medium-term project: so not 2020, but hopefully not long after that.

To help move it along it would help to know what scenarios everyone is interested in. My suggestion would be to add this information to the current idea (https://knowledge.safe.com/content/idea/18902/nwc-navisworks-cache-file.html) - and upvote it of course - stating whether you are interested in reading or writing, and what specific geometries you are interested in (I know next to nothing about the format but the more user info we have the better the product will be)

Hey Mark!

Is there any update reg this question?

Our customers are searching for a tool to access NavisWorks models (changing) from 2d/3d GIS.

Thanks you,

Kirill

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Well, coincidentally the CAD team were asking this morning for input on their roadmap going forward. I've indicated very strongly that this format should be top of the list and done in the near future, else we risk losing users. Other people seem to agree. So the bad news is that we don't have support right now, but I'm very confident that it will be worked on for 2021. I mean, no guarantees, but I'd be shocked if we didn't.

Hi Mark, I'm looking at FME2021 desktop and looks can't find a reader .nwd file. Did this miss the list for 2021 release? Can we expect in in 2022?

Badge +15

Hi @mark2atsafe​, I understand this didn't make it to FME 2022.0, but do you know if there is maybe any plans for 2022.1 or later?

Badge

Hello @mark2atsafe​ any news on Navisworks support? The interest is growing over the years. Thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @mark2atsafe​ any news on Navisworks support? The interest is growing over the years. Thanks

Hello @jpvo​ , sorry to be the bearer of bad news, unfortunately, support for Navisworks is still unplanned. Have you added a comment or upvoted this idea here yet? It would be nice to learn what you're trying to itegrate with Navisworks. Best, Kailin.

Badge

Hello @kailinatsafe​ It would be a major step for BIM integration to have at least a NWD reader. We work on a daily basis with NWD from different sources (Autodesk Plant 3D, Smart Plant 3D, Aveva) to push into ArcGIS, and the workaround at the moment is to use a IFC exporter plugin, but it is time consuming and not useful when handling large models or lots of geometries.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @kailinatsafe​ It would be a major step for BIM integration to have at least a NWD reader. We work on a daily basis with NWD from different sources (Autodesk Plant 3D, Smart Plant 3D, Aveva) to push into ArcGIS, and the workaround at the moment is to use a IFC exporter plugin, but it is time consuming and not useful when handling large models or lots of geometries.

Hello @edualarcong​, thank you for commenting! This is great information, I have added a note about your potential use case. Please ensure to show your interest or vote on the FME Idea. Happy to help, Kailin!

Badge

Hello @edualarcong​, thank you for commenting! This is great information, I have added a note about your potential use case. Please ensure to show your interest or vote on the FME Idea. Happy to help, Kailin!

Thanks! @kailinatsafe​ I voted on the FME idea and added a related idea about Smart Plant 3D (VUE file reader). It is a workaround focused on BIM models stored in VUE files. If you need examples or details for use cases, we are glad to help. Regards!

Badge +5

What’s happening with this Navisworks format support? I can’t find the idea page to upvote it and it appears the format has been under request for 7 years now. Could we get an update as to whether it’s being worked on or shelved?

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Hi @kailinatsafe @mark2atsafe 
Can we get an update please? This was with the developers 4 years ago.

What is the current status? Is it still on the roadmap?

ODA - Open Design Alliance (already known to Safe Software) has a Navisworks SDK available: https://www.opendesign.com/products/bimnv

A lot of FME users are clearly waiting for this and this is a showstopper/must have for several customers.

But now it appears that even the idea has disappeared

Best,

Jasper

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @jasperwis, thanks for checking in! Right now, our focus is on developing a new and improved IFC Reader. Navisworks is high on our list of considerations for future development, but it hasn’t entered the active development phase just yet.
We appreciate your patience and the push from our FME community. We'll definitely keep your feedback in mind as we shape our roadmap. Happy to help, Kailin.