Question

List of special characters in Text Editor

• 8 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hi, 

I'm looking for a list of special characters used in a text editor. Is there a description of their function? Are there any others available that are not listed in the window? For example, I use the MSWordStyler transformer

Thanks

Filip

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @filipovitz, we don’t have a formal list anywhere as these Escape Sequences are common across text editors, but this list (external site) explains what they each do. The list on that external site is more extensive than the Special Characters list, and I don’t believe you’ll be able to use any that aren’t on the Special Characters list. I hope this helps! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +26

Can the list be expanded (in terms of explanations). We came across this in a training course earlier this week: customer wanted to split one field in Excel where information was entered on separate lines. Inspecting the field in Visual Preview showed a LF (line feed), which meant I had to use an AttributeSplitter with a \n separator character. Trying to explain that to novice users was tricky.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @filipovitz and @redgeographics, thank you for your suggestions! I’ve submitted an enhancement request to have some documentation created for this (internal reference: TECHPUBS-8818). I’ll update here if it gets published!

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi everyone, I’m happy to share that the Special Characters page has been published! It can be found here or in the Text Editor documentation

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

@saraatsafe Thank you for helping get that page set up. FYI, there may be a typo on the page. Are the descriptions for Newline and Carriage Return supposed to be the same? I believe the Newline description should end with “next line” not “current line”.