Skip to main content
Question

How to terminate the workflow using a Feature Joiner and a Tester

• 20 July 2024
  • 3 replies

FME Desktop 2022.2

Objective: I want to terminate my workbench if the FeatureJoiner spits out any UnjoinedRight records. So this means, even if there are any Joined records, I want these to also terminate in the flow because there are UnjoinedRight records being caught. 

Workflow and Logic:

I have the following set up but it is not working. Notice in the screenshot below, I added a counter to the UnjoinedRight port, and a Tester. If the Tester conditions are met, they Pass and I want the Joined record to move along. If the Tester conditions are not met, then they Fail and I don’t want the Joined records to continue and would like the workbench to Terminate.

Why is the Joined record still continuing, if the Tester conditions were not met (Failed). The value of the _count_unjoined is 1, thus, as per the conditions, they are not met, so then it sends it to Failed and to the Terminator, BUT the Joined record keeps going, which I don’t want. I thought the Tester logic would stop this. Eventually the workbench Fails and terminates but the Joined record still processes and makes it to the end Writer. 

Logic: 

UnjoinedRight holds 1 count, is it < than 0 ? No, so it goes to the Failed port

UnjoinedRight holds 1 count, is it Null ? No, so it goes to the Failed port

But the Joined record keeps going. Maybe the Tester is not the correct transformer to be used here?

Thank you for your time in replying.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +14

Hi,

The tester works per feature so it will perform your checklist for each feature that passes through instead of just generally on the overall set of features. To do what you want to do you can use a FeatureMerger with a 1=1. See my screenshot on how to connect.

Userlevel 5
Badge +32

One option is to use the FeatureFlowValve custom transformer. You can set the “Valve” to either be “Open” of “Closed”.

Very helpful to force the workspace to wait.

Badge +6

Thanks @birgit and @virtualcitymatt . I ended up using the FeatureMerger along with the FeatureFlowValve and got my workflow to work as intended. Much appreciated.