Question

how can i Transform the 2D autocad file (dwg) to the CityGML ?

• 8 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I am trying to create a workflow in order to transform a dwg to a cityGML file and later to import it into a 3D citygml database.

I have tried to find an example online doing something similar but I had no luck.

I wanted to ask if something like this is possible with FME and if there is an available example to get a first impression of how to implement it.

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @siguseider56, welcome to the FME Community!
One way you can do this is to first convert your DWG into IFC, and then IFC into CityGML. I found a couple of tutorials that can help you get started: AutoCAD to IFC Conversion Example & BIM to GIS (Basic) IFC LOD 100 to LOD 2 CityGML (there is also a tutorial for IFC LOD 300 to LOD 4 CityGML, if you’d like higher detail in your output).
Lastly, some generic CityGML resources: here’s a webinar on how to Read and Write CityGML Data & the documentation for the OGC CityGML Reader and Writer. I hope this helps you get started! 

Badge +1

Hi @siguseider56, welcome to the FME Community!
One way you can do this is to first convert your DWG into IFC, and then IFC into CityGML. I found a couple of tutorials that can help you get started: AutoCAD to IFC Conversion Example & BIM to GIS (Basic) IFC LOD 100 to LOD 2 CityGML (there is also a tutorial for IFC LOD 300 to LOD 4 CityGML, if you’d like higher detail in your output).
Lastly, some generic CityGML resources: here’s a webinar on how to Read and Write CityGML Data & the documentation for the OGC CityGML Reader and Writer. I hope this helps you get started! 

Thank you!