Question

Dynamic Reader keeps old feature type

• 25 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

I want to set up an FME workflow which I can reuse for projects, in which input data differs. For this, I want to load different shape files into FME using a parameter (the shapefilename). These shape files have different attribute names, so I wanted to use the schema mapper to map these different attributes.

The problem is that I cannot get a dynamic reader to work properly (I used feature merge). When I load in the first shapefile for the first project, the reader sets the user attributes to the attribute names of the first shapefile . If I restart and load in the second shapefile , it won’t expose the attributes from the second shapefile (the attributes from the first shapefile remain!). 

How can I set up the reader to be able to handle different input schemes and change the exposed attributes dynamically, based on the input files?

2 replies

Badge +1

I believe, I figured it out. The dynamic reading actually worked but the exposing of user attributes was the confusing part. One should probably not expose any attributes in the reader in dynamic situations?

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi @m.mel Right - exposed attributes are only useful when editing a workspace.