Question

Why is reading ArcGIS Online attachment failing in 2023 when it works great in 2019?

• 17 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +5

We are upgrading from 2019.2.1.0 to 2023.1

I have many AGOL feature services with attachments that we read and then write to a local database for archiving.

For example, I have a feature service that has about 50,000 point features. Only 4 of them have attachments (500K jpegs). I have it set to read in batches of 1,000.

In 2019, if I read this feature service with Attachments = Yes, it takes about 1 minute to read everything.

If I open the same workspace in 2023 and run it without updating the reader, it times out every time. Sometimes it doesn't even log that it reads the first 1000 before timing out in about 7-10 minutes. Other times it has read for over an hour but still times out.

If I disable attachment reading, it reads quickly in 2023.

If I upgrade the reader to 2023, the reading still times out when attachment reading is enabled.

The same is true for FME server. On our old 2019 server this workspace runs in about 2 minutes, but it times out every time on 2023.

Help, please.

2 replies

Badge +4

If you have a bunch of attributes, you might try hiding all your attributes in your AGOL Feature Service Reader Feature Type. BTY, as you may know Attachements dont work in the FeatureReader transformer (not sure if this is in the latest release).

you might also try cutting in half the number of features that are read with each call to AGOL. So if you are reading 1000 no , try 500.

Hope this helps. -Reed

ps. this article might also help.

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/258018/can-i-query-in-arcgis-online-for-features-that-have-attachments

If you can use the where query to just return features form AGOL that have attachments. Where: GlobalID in (Select REL_GLOBALID FROM featureclass__ATTACH where ATTACHMENTID > 0)

Badge +5

If you have a bunch of attributes, you might try hiding all your attributes in your AGOL Feature Service Reader Feature Type. BTY, as you may know Attachements dont work in the FeatureReader transformer (not sure if this is in the latest release).

you might also try cutting in half the number of features that are read with each call to AGOL. So if you are reading 1000 no , try 500.

Hope this helps. -Reed

ps. this article might also help.

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/258018/can-i-query-in-arcgis-online-for-features-that-have-attachments

If you can use the where query to just return features form AGOL that have attachments. Where: GlobalID in (Select REL_GLOBALID FROM featureclass__ATTACH where ATTACHMENTID > 0)

@Reed Whittington​ Thanks for your suggestions. But neither of those things affected the speed of reading; still orders of magnitude slower than 2019. Still having the issue.

I saw this post which references a similar problem but did not see a solution. Does anyone know what the change is?

Why is it now so slow to read an AGOL service with attachments set to 'Yes' (safe.com)