Skip to main content

Hi fellow experts and users,

I apologize if this has been asked already but I have not been able to find the topic.

I have only been using FME for a month and struggling to figure out how to manipulate data within FME. I've watched and followed exercises about using FME to reading in map data but it is confusing and overwhelming at the same time.

Basically I'm trying to convert a PDF representing buildings and runway and convert those points into georeferenced positions. As an input I have a georeferenced shp file containing a runway with the intention of being able to match the runways together and then being able to figure out where the PDF buildings need to be placed.

The scale of the PDF runway and the shp runway may not be the same but I was thinking it may be possible to compare each point of the polygon one at a time to figure out the distance and create some kind of scaling. I coloured the runway in the PDF as a purple line so that I have the PDF runway polygon and the shp runway polygon to correlate. Once the relative position between those points is establisehd, I was hoping the scaler transformer would be able to move the other polygons to the correct location

While it looks like a dogs breakfast, I included a screenshot of the workspace showing the approach I have taken as well as identified where the correlation needs to take place.

I'm a software developer and have not used visual coding before so I'm likely not following any best practices. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

justaguy (wanting to learn FME)

Hi,

I think the AffineWarper and/or the RubberSheeter might help you.

In order to apply those transformers, you have to create control features (line geometries) based on correlation between runway shapes from PDF and corresponding shapes from Shapefile.

It depends on the conditions of the source datasets whether the process to create the control features could be automated in the workspace. Possibly you might have to create an external table defining coordinates correlation of some pairs of points chosen from the two source datasets.

Anyway, firstly see the Helps on the two transformers I mentioned above.

Hi,

I think the AffineWarper and/or the RubberSheeter might help you.

In order to apply those transformers, you have to create control features (line geometries) based on correlation between runway shapes from PDF and corresponding shapes from Shapefile.

It depends on the conditions of the source datasets whether the process to create the control features could be automated in the workspace. Possibly you might have to create an external table defining coordinates correlation of some pairs of points chosen from the two source datasets.

Anyway, firstly see the Helps on the two transformers I mentioned above.

The attachment is a workspace example that automates creating control lines for the AffineWarper. If the runway from PDF was a similar figure of the corresponding runway from Shapefile, this workflow could help you to accomplish the goal.

affinewarper-example.fmw (FME 2018.1.1.1)

The attachment is a workspace example that automates creating control lines for the AffineWarper. If the runway from PDF was a similar figure of the corresponding runway from Shapefile, this workflow could help you to accomplish the goal.

affinewarper-example.fmw (FME 2018.1.1.1)

Thank you very much Takashi for your help. I was not aware these transformers existed and your example of how to actually use the transformers is a huge help. I am looking at your example now and how I can integrate that into my workspace.

I will let you know how far I get, your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much Takashi for your help. I was not aware these transformers existed and your example of how to actually use the transformers is a huge help. I am looking at your example now and how I can integrate that into my workspace.

I will let you know how far I get, your help is greatly appreciated.

Your example worked perfectly. I would not have been able to do the Control Lines without your example. Thanks again!

The attachment doesn't seem to be working

The attachment doesn't seem to be working

Hi @brian.telintelo​ ,

Thanks for raising this, the attachment should now be available.