Question

Not able to load personal Sketchup model

• 30 June 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi, I am trying to convert a 3D structure into a point cloud.

For this I am following the instructions found here: https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/1031/creating-point-clouds-from-3d-models-or-raster-dat.html

However, whenever I am trying to load my personal *.skp model the following error occurs:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'SKP' reader was created successfully

Creating reader for format: Trimble SketchUp

Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for reader named `SKP'

FME API version of module 'SKP' matches current internal version (3.8 20200115)

The dataset 'C:\\Users\\linus\\OneDrive\\RSC Master\\Master Thesis\\sketchup_file\\Subaru+Forester+RHD.skp' was opened successfully

The feature cache has not been loaded while a new setConstraints was performed. Now loading...

Opening Trimble Sketchup reader

SketchUp Reader: Read Hidden Geometry: 'Auto'

SketchUp Reader: Color by Layer: 'Auto'

SketchUp Reader: Read Edges: 'No'

Failed to read a valid Sketchup model from dataset

A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

Failed to specify the feature index as constraints on the reader

Removing dataset 'Subaru+Forester+RHD [SKP]' from View 1

The dataset 'C:\\Users\\linus\\OneDrive\\RSC Master\\Master Thesis\\sketchup_file\\Subaru+Forester+RHD.skp' was closed successfully

The 'SKP' reader was destroyed successfully

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately I am not able to upload my *.skp file, but I simply added some stairs out of the 3DWarehouse (and I also tried with simply drawing a cube)

Does someone know what is happening? Or could you maybe send me a link to a *.skp model that is "loadable"?

I am using Sketchup pro 2020 and FME Workbench 2020.0

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @llingg,

What version and build of FME are you using? I was able to reproduce a similar error for a Sketchup pro 2020 file in FME 2020.0, (I found a model on 3d Warehouse that featured their new 2020 character, Laura). However it seems to read in fine for me in our current beta version FME 2020.1. You can find our latest beta in our downloads here.

Would you be able to give it another try in the latest beta and let me know if that works for you?