Solved

Installing FME Server on AWS

• 14 February 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge +9

Is there any documentation on the best way to install and set-up FME in an AWS Cloud Environment?

How is the licence set-up on a dynamic environment?

icon

Best answer by catatsafe 18 February 2020, 18:24

View original

6 replies

Badge

HI @deanhowell,

Please check out this article on installing FME Desktop on AWS and other cloud machines and let us know if it answers your questions. https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/60408/fme-desktop-on-amazon-aws-ec2.html

Cheers,

Cat
Badge +9

HI @deanhowell,

Please check out this article on installing FME Desktop on AWS and other cloud machines and let us know if it answers your questions. https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/60408/fme-desktop-on-amazon-aws-ec2.html

Cheers,

Cat

Thanks Cat but looking for installation of FME Server details although the licence information is probably worth following

Badge

Sorry @deanhowell I totally misread your question. From our tech specs page. "FME Server should run on almost any virtualization provider's platform, on any supported operating system."

There are no special requirements, just use our standard installation and licensing instructions. https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/AdminGuide/Choosing-Deployment-Architecture.htm
Badge +9

Sorry @deanhowell I totally misread your question. From our tech specs page. "FME Server should run on almost any virtualization provider's platform, on any supported operating system."

There are no special requirements, just use our standard installation and licensing instructions. https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/AdminGuide/Choosing-Deployment-Architecture.htm

Thanks

As we are looking to install the software on AWS cloud on an auto-scaling group, this means that the underlying hardware and OS may be replaced regularly, therefore we would not want to have the license with hardware association to a host id, mac address or a host name.

Could you provide me with more details on how your permanent license is tied to hardware and whether you support running of FME server in AWS Autoscaling groups and how we can overcome the requirements specified in the email.

Badge +2

Thanks

As we are looking to install the software on AWS cloud on an auto-scaling group, this means that the underlying hardware and OS may be replaced regularly, therefore we would not want to have the license with hardware association to a host id, mac address or a host name.

Could you provide me with more details on how your permanent license is tied to hardware and whether you support running of FME server in AWS Autoscaling groups and how we can overcome the requirements specified in the email.

Hi @deanhowell,

It looks like this question has come to us at support through your reseller so we can post a definitive answer here once that case is resolved.

From my understanding, licensing is based on and generated for machine key. So if the hardware changes and the machine key is different, in the web ui you would need to re-request a license as the new machine key won't be able to retrieve the old license. There are rest api requests so on start up you could use those to request a new license.

Are you planning on auto-scaling the whole of your FME Server deployment, or just engines? If it's just engines and you're not auto-scaling the core then this won't be an issue. From my understanding of auto-scaling, this would only make sense with dynamic engines in FME Server, which will be available in 2020. I don't see a need to set up the FME Core etc.
Badge +9

Hi @deanhowell,

It looks like this question has come to us at support through your reseller so we can post a definitive answer here once that case is resolved.

From my understanding, licensing is based on and generated for machine key. So if the hardware changes and the machine key is different, in the web ui you would need to re-request a license as the new machine key won't be able to retrieve the old license. There are rest api requests so on start up you could use those to request a new license.

Are you planning on auto-scaling the whole of your FME Server deployment, or just engines? If it's just engines and you're not auto-scaling the core then this won't be an issue. From my understanding of auto-scaling, this would only make sense with dynamic engines in FME Server, which will be available in 2020. I don't see a need to set up the FME Core etc.

Thanks for your response. We look forward to seeing the definitive answer and figuring out the solution in the near future.