Skip to main content

Question of the Week: AI Appreciation Day

Hi FME Community! We’re back with another Question of the Week. If you missed our previous questions, you can find them here.

Every week, we’ll post a simple but thought-provoking question that could be about your FME journey, the power of spatial data, FME innovation, or the future of FME.

Each weekly question you answer earns you an entry in our monthly draw for exclusive Safe swag and points toward badges! Answer your first question and you’ll get the Socializer (Ice Breaker) badge. Answer five questions and you’ll get the Socializer (Talker) badge.

Let’s get to it! In honour of World AI Appreciation Day today: How has AI made a difference in your work with FME? 

Share your stories and insights on how AI has transformed your workflows and projects in the comments below.

Cheers,

The Safe Community Team

17 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

To me, it helps make a difference with the little things! Things like not having to learn Regex/Regular Expressions and just being able to write what I am looking (in plain english) for and the AI just figures it out and spits it out into FME!

I also use it a lot when doing research. My role, at times, requires a lot of research and thinking. I’ve been mildly impressed at it’s ability to talk about things that I hadn’t considered, even when looking at focused FME-specific topics.

Userlevel 6
Badge +26

My use of AI has been minimal so far, but where I have used it is helping with Regex

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

To date my use of AI with FME has been minimal. Its greatest use for me so far has been to write documentation and project proposals where I plan to use FME.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Im working on a little side-project where Im trying to automate numbering and naming of bookmarks in the FME workspace. Using the workspace XML-file I could number the bookmarks based on their position using python. Then I uploaded the workspace as text to chatGPT and asked it to name my bookmarks based on their content. Worked surprisingly good! 

And I’m also using it for Regex : -)

Badge +41

In the context of FME I use it to get the correct syntax when doing regex, python, xquery etc. Outside FME I use ChatGPT as my search engine. Real results, no adds, asking for what I need as I think of it and not reformatted for a search engine to work.

Userlevel 5
Badge +32

I had a nice experiment where I used ChatGPT to translate only the values of a JSON file.

We have a website which uses a JSON file to define the i18n language definitions. 

we have an en.json and a de.json

I was able to just take the en.json, spit it up into a few chunks (with FME) and then use the OpenAI connector to just convert the key values to other languages. 

It kept the json syntax and key names unchanged.

I was able to create a whole collections of languages for use in our applications. 

Downsides of this process...It added a bunch of extra keys to the definition in some cases where the chunks were probably too large. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +32

Im working on a little side-project where Im trying to automate numbering and naming of bookmarks in the FME workspace. Using the workspace XML-file I could number the bookmarks based on their position using python. Then I uploaded the workspace as text to chatGPT and asked it to name my bookmarks based on their content. Worked surprisingly good! 

And I’m also using it for Regex : -)

OK this is really cool

Badge +24

Hi FME Community!

It's fantastic to see the new Question of the Week initiative! AI has significantly impacted my work with FME in several ways:

1. Coding Assistance: AI has been invaluable in assisting me with coding, whether it's Python scripts or regex. It helps me write and debug code more efficiently, ensuring smoother workflows.

2. Report Writing: AI has also been a great help in writing reports, making the process faster and more accurate. It assists in generating insights and presenting data in a clear, concise manner.

3. Community Engagement: Most importantly, AI helps me answer Questions of the Week on the Community forum. It provides suggestions, refines my responses, and ensures that my contributions are thoughtful and valuable.

AI's influence on my FME projects has been transformative, making processes smarter, faster, and more efficient. I'm excited to see how AI will continue to evolve and further enhance our capabilities with FME.

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

I can’t imagine my life without AI anymore—I talk to ChatGPT daily. I can ask about anything: Python code, raster expressions and kernels, OverpassQL statements, complete web pages with HTML/CSS/JS. I can get answers on how to convert color models or pick the right font color for a given background. I generate illustrations for my LinkedIn articles, textures for my 3D models, and icons for my FME AR apps. I always have a helping hand with spelling and style for my emails and posts.

I switched to a Mac after almost three decades on Windows, and AI provides lots of helpful tips. My Mac is full of my own Automator tools, creating which I find really cool and rewarding (I sometimes don’t even use FME for those things, please don’t tell anyone). I generate random datasets, analyze images, discuss project implementation details, and once even asked for advice on how to name my 🐈.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I can’t imagine my life without AI anymore—I talk to ChatGPT daily. I can ask about anything: Python code, raster expressions and kernels, OverpassQL statements, complete web pages with HTML/CSS/JS. I can get answers on how to convert color models or pick the right font color for a given background. I generate illustrations for my LinkedIn articles, textures for my 3D models, and icons for my FME AR apps. I always have a helping hand with spelling and style for my emails and posts.

I switched to a Mac after almost three decades on Windows, and AI provides lots of helpful tips. My Mac is full of my own Automator tools, creating which I find really cool and rewarding (I sometimes don’t even use FME for those things, please don’t tell anyone). I generate random datasets, analyze images, discuss project implementation details, and once even asked for advice on how to name my 🐈.

What did you end up naming your dog? 😆

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

That was a cat emoji. Well, the family did not consider our (ChatGPT’s and mine) suggestion and they still cannot agree on his name after 6 months so he has two names - Rocky Barsik. But I am thinking, maybe he could be Chopin?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

That was a cat emoji. Well, the family did not consider our (ChatGPT’s and mine) suggestion and they still cannot agree on his name after 6 months so he has two names - Rocky Barsik. But I am thinking, maybe he could be Chopin?

I like Chopin! 🐈

Badge +6

Generative AI has helped me create python start-up and shut-down scripts, and figuring out the steps/transformers I would need to take to get stuff done. It’s been super helpful! It’s not always correct, but it gets me a lot closer than I was before I used it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +36

I’ve been using ChatGPT to help me generate Javascript to use on the community website. It helps me to create more detailed interfaces than I could do using FME apps.

In fact… sometimes, it means I can not use FME at all!

Userlevel 1
Badge +15

I use it to automatically get complex regex statements in FME. I also use ChatGPT to get correct Python syntax for use within PythonCaller.

Userlevel 5
Badge +36

Great and actually question.

In a few weeks ago I used integrate with ChatGPT transformer.

It was very fun :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

It hasn’t made any difference, because I don’t use any AI. For one: there are too many unverifyable variables, two: all of the AI’s are rather careless about copyrights, and three: I don’t see any benefit for it in my daily work. So no, hasn’t made any dfference at all, and won’t  make any difference for me in the foreseeable future.