Question

Using Google Earth Engine in FME Deskop

• 22 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hi all

Does anyone have experience in using Google Earth Engine (GEE) in FME Desktop (I work with FME 2023.2)? I would like to access some remote sensing data in FME, process it and combine it with other data.

I found out that the transformer “PythonCaller” could be used to integrate some Python code in FME. GEE advice to use the package ee/geemap for formulating requests to the engine. Accessing the GEE via Jupyter Notebook does work, but I’d rather integrate the processing in FME.

Thanks for any help/advices.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @laura_geodata, I have not personally done this, however, there are python package instructions in the GEE documentation. You can find the instructions for installing python packages to FME Form, here. I hope this information helps you get started! Happy to help, Kailin.

Badge +2

Unfortunately, I did not get the packages to run as written in de GEE documentation. From the error messages (attached) i conclude that the packages probably cannot be loaded. I tried different storage locations (FME < plugins < ee and FME < plugins < python < ee).

Badge +2

I also tried it with the location FME < python < python311 < ee. Using a Python Shell, I can access GEE perfectly.