Question

Trying to read in SDE featurclass and I keep getting an error that may be caused by the current user not having permission to see the feature layer

• 15 February 2024
  • 10 replies

Badge +5

Hello,

I am currently trying to read in a feature class from an ESRI SDE and keep hitting a wall with this error: 

The table name 'DBO.Transportation/SidewalkAccessCenterline' could not be found in the Geodatabase as either a feature class or a table. This may be because the current user does not have permission to see 'DBO.Transportation/SidewalkAccessCenterline'

I have tried the following:

• updating FME
  • updating ArcGIS Pro
  • changing Esri ArcGIS Compatibility from auto to arcgis pro
  • changing what user ArcGIS Pro was using
  • Made a new connection file 
  • checked to see if the file was versioned (it is)
  • checked to see if I had read/write access over the folder the connection file was made in (i did)

Any suggestions are welcome! Thank you!

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Does the same connection file work when you use it in ArcPro?

Badge +5

The connection file works in ArcGIS Pro but when I try to use a favorited connection file from ArcGIS Pro in FME I get an error saying, “Please ensure that the dataset is accessible and has feature types available to read”

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

What do you mean by “favorited connection”? Just to check, are you using FME standalone or in Esri via the interoperability extension?

If you setup a brand new SDE connection file and use that in a fresh workbench does that still have the same error?

Badge +5

In ArcGIS Pro you will have favorited connections which is just a way of saying saved connections. I am using FME standalone.

It does not work with a brand new sde connection file in a fresh workbench. Same error.

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Just had a bit of play around myself on SDE and it looks to be a problem with the name of the featureclass. FME seems to not like forward slashes in the featureclass name (i’m surprised Esri lets you use them to be honest!)

Badge +5

all of the features have slashes because they are stored in feature datasets and FME shows it as category Transportation / layer sidewalk. to clarify there are no actual slashes thats just how FME is reading it

The prior FME versions didn’t read it like this. Should I downgrade until this is fixed?

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Ah, Can you try excluding the name of the featuredataset? ie just specify ‘ SidewalkAccessCenterline ‘

Badge +5

no I get the same error :(

Badge +2

I’m having the same issue. Any solution yet? FME 2023 worked just fine. Why did I install FME 2024??!

Badge +5

Check ‘Remove Feature Dataset’ and it fixes it.