Question

Resolving Domain Issues when Accessing PostGIS instead of sde+ XML help

• 23 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +5

Due to certain circumstances, primarily due to a limitation within ESRI, I find myself in the situation where I must retrieve data from my database not directly via the sde reader, but rather indirectly through the postGIS reader. Despite encountering various challenges along the way, I managed to surmount these obstacles.

However, the primary issue I currently face involves the resolution of domains in my output. Naturally, the postGIS reader does not offer an immediate solution for this matter. My consideration was to take an alternate route, yet I am encountering difficulties here as well.

My proposed approach involves extracting information from the domain tables and subsequently configuring it using AttributeManager.

Regrettably, I am unable to locate the domain tables within postGIS. I hold the belief that these tables must exist within the postGIS setup, albeit their exact location eludes me.

Any form of assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your support!

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

This article on Esri's website might provide some more inforomation on what you're looking for: https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/gdbs-in-postgresql/geodatabase-system-tables-postgresql.htm

It looks like the Domain information is stored in the gdb_items table. I recommend reaching out to Esri support to get a more concrete answer since this question falls more within their area of expertise.

Hope this helps!

Dan

Badge +5

Thanks a lot @danminneyatsaf​!

I found it, and where the the codes & names are stored!

in the sde.gdb_items table there is a column name 'definition', and inside there are xmls which contains all of the data.

The xmls looks like this:

<GPCodedValueDomain2 xsi:type='typens:GPCodedValueDomain2' xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' xmlns:xs='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema' xmlns:typens='http://www.esri.com/schemas/ArcGIS/10.8'><DomainName>dbo_lut_diameter</DomainName><FieldType>esriFieldTypeInteger</FieldType><MergePolicy>esriMPTDefaultValue</MergePolicy><SplitPolicy>esriSPTDuplicate</SplitPolicy><Description>name</Description><Owner>gis_user</Owner><CodedValues xsi:type='typens:ArrayOfCodedValue'><CodedValue xsi:type='typens:CodedValue'><Name>לא ידוע</Name><Code xsi:type='xs:int'>0</Code></CodedValue><CodedValue xsi:type='typens:CodedValue'><Name>1</Name><Code xsi:type='xs:int'>1</Code></CodedValue><CodedValue xsi:type='typens:CodedValue'><Name>2</Name><Code xsi:type='xs:int'>2</Code></CodedValue><CodedValue xsi:type='typens:CodedValue'><Name>3</Name><Code xsi:type='xs:int'>3</Code></CodedValue><CodedValue xsi:type='typens:CodedValue'><Name>4</Name><Code xsi:type='xs:int'>4</Code></CodedValue><CodedValue xsi:type='typens:CodedValue'><Name>6</Name><Code xsi:type='xs:int'>6</Code></CodedValue><CodedValue xsi:type='typens:CodedValue'><Name>8</Name><Code xsi:type='xs:int'>8</Code></CodedValue><CodedValue xsi:type='typens:CodedValue'><Name>10</Name><Code xsi:type='xs:int'>10</Code></CodedValue><CodedValue xsi:type='typens:CodedValue'><Name>12</Name><Code xsi:type='xs:int'>12</Code></CodedValue><CodedValue xsi:type='typens:CodedValue'><Name>14</Name><Code xsi:type='xs:int'>14</Code></CodedValue><CodedValue xsi:type='typens:CodedValue'><Name>16</Name><Code xsi:type='xs:int'>16</Code></CodedValue><CodedValue xsi:type='typens:CodedValue'><Name>18</Name><Code xsi:type='xs:int'>18</Code></CodedValue><CodedValue xsi:type='typens:CodedValue'><Name>20</Name><Code xsi:type='xs:int'>20</Code></CodedValue><CodedValue xsi:type='typens:CodedValue'><Name>24</Name><Code xsi:type='xs:int'>24</Code></CodedValue><CodedValue xsi:type='typens:CodedValue'><Name>28</Name><Code xsi:type='xs:int'>28</Code></CodedValue><CodedValue xsi:type='typens:CodedValue'><Name>70</Name><Code xsi:type='xs:int'>70</Code></CodedValue><CodedValue xsi:type='typens:CodedValue'><Name>80</Name><Code xsi:type='xs:int'>80</Code></CodedValue></CodedValues></GPCodedValueDomain2>

And I really don't know how to extract the data from them..

If some can help me, I will really apricate it.