Question

Reading coordinate system properties from a DGN file

• 23 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

We have an assignment where we are using FME Form 2024 version to convert a DGN file to a GIS format. For us to do it, the design file (DGN) needs to be reprojected and scaled to Web Mercator coordinates. I am not a designer, but a developer and learning about the DGN files as I go. The designers using Bentley’s Micro station tool.

Using MicroStation V8 reader, reads the “Name” associated with the coordinate system, which is a free form field and can contain a name that the project designer puts in manually and is not a standard naming conversion.

We are trying to read more information from the properties of the coordinate systems like the “Description”, “Affine parameters”.  The description field contains standardized naming that we could use since it is not editable by the project designer. The Affine parameters define the scale factor that will be used to convert from ground to grid coordinates.

Need help in identifying how this can be read through the MicroStation reader or any other transformers.

Attached document has some screen shots of the coordinate system associate with each DGN using the Bentley’s ORD tool.

Thank you,

Lavanya.

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

Hi, @lsugumar.

Thanks for your question. After looking at your question and searching the FME Community for similar threads, I have found some similar to yours that may help and guide you with your use case. They are: How do I read the coordinate reference system in a DGN file? and DGN files and its coordinate system reference. Let me know if you need further assistance!

Badge +1

Hi  @AliAtSafe ,

Yes, I took a look at those posts before I submitted this question.

Wasn’t sure which FME version the other posts used or what the status of FMEENGINE-9051 ticket is. With FME 2024.0.1, I noticed that MicroStation V8 reader can read the Coordinate name from DGN file. However, I am looking for reading the properties along with Name of the GCS. I did not see a post regarding that in the forum. The screen shots below show that clearly. My word document from the original post should explain what properties I am looking to read. Hope this explains better.