Solved

Lettered Path vs UNC Path and Access Database

• 18 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +15

I have a workspace where the Reader reads an Access database using a lettered drive path (K:\\projects\\databases\\access.mdb) The Writer writes to the same database using the same lettered drive path. When I publish this workspace to FME Flow without uploading/selecting files, the Database Path under Published Parameters is empty.

But, when I change the database paths in my workspace to a UNC path (\\\\gisserver1\\projects\\databases\\access.mdb), I publish the workspace (without uploading/selecting files) and I see the UNC path to the Access Database populated in Published Parameters - Database Path.

If my workspace reads from a lettered drive path and the database is Microsoft Access, when I publish the workspace, do I need to upload/select files? This would upload the Access database to FME Server.

icon

Best answer by hkingsbury 18 July 2023, 22:34

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

If you upload a file as part of publishing to FME Flow (Server) you are making a local copy of that data. So if you update it, you are not updating the data on the shared drive.

In terms of UNC vs Lettered drives, my preference (and advice) is to always go down the UNC path. Each machine could have a different location mapped to a different letter, if you're using letters, it can become very complicated.

Userlevel 2
Badge +15

Thank you, this is the answer I was hoping for. Ensuring that you use UNC paths in your workbenches prior to publication to FME Flow is the most efficient workflow.