Question

SQL Server - unexpected and intermittent error

• 12 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

I'm dealing with an error while reading data from an Intergraph GeoMedia SQL Server Warehouse using FME build 23332, although this was also an issue in FME2019. The error does not give much info (see attached log file). We may get the error 3 times in a row with the same parameters, and then on the 4th run with no change it will process fine. Sometimes the error will not present at all.

This is also happening on multiple machines accessing the same network location. The error always occurs after the entry "Successfully closed GeoMedia SQL Server Warehouse reader"

We are suspecting a network issue, but do not know where to begin checking.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +28

Definitely sounds network related - these intermittent ERRORS are tricky. If it fails once in a blue moon then it's really hard to try and debug, but if you can get it to fail after a few attempts the at least you should be able to make some progress I guess. To speed up testing you can try and reduce the number of features read by the reader to just a handful.

Does the reader read all the features it should and then fail or does the number of read features change between runs? If it's always the same number of features then it might not necessarily be network related.

What about the data itself, is it changing regularly or is it always the same dataset. If the data is changing then it could be a problem feature somewhere - the should be pretty easy to check though.

Is it always the same workspace which is being run or just the same data being read in different workflows? If it's always the same workspace then I'd see if you could create a test workspace which is just the reader and maybe a logger or something just to try and isolate the reader as the cause rather than a false flag.

Next steps would be to try and set up the data locally to remove the network element from the picture.

Other things which may or may not be helpful are Procmon.exe to see if you can find a change between fails and successes (pretty tricky if you don't know what to look for though)

Turning on debug logging in FME to see if there are any clues there - usually this is pretty unhelpful though.

Trying to figure out if there is anyone accessing the data at the same time. Could be some weird interaction I guess?

Perhaps someone who knows more about the format can say more about where to look for DB logs which might give also some clues.

Let us know if any more clues pop up - and of course definitely get in touch with Safe Support as well.

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

Thanks @virtualcitymatt​ . For reference, here is the attached log file with debug enabled. I plan to pass this along to FME Support.

Badge +4

I’m wondering why the GeoMedia SQL Server Warehouse reader is beeing closed 2 times in a row? Could it be a bug in the transformer? Or did you import the reader multiple times in the workspace?

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

I’m wondering why the GeoMedia SQL Server Warehouse reader is beeing closed 2 times in a row? Could it be a bug in the transformer? Or did you import the reader multiple times in the workspace?

I only have 1 Geomedia SQL reader, and 1 Geomedia SQL writer in this workspace.