Question

Is there a way I can set up an order of operations?

• 4 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I have a workbench that's converting 3D CAD files to 2D shapefiles, and some attribution changes.

After reading in the CAD data, there's a test filter that separates the data into 4 separate paths, in which each path has a separate Shapefile it writes to.

My goal is to have 1 path run, and successfully write before beginning the next path. This functionality would need to happen after the test filter separates the data out.

Is there anything way to configure this?

I could split this into 4 separate workbenches and automate on Flow, but wasn't sure if there's a fancy transformer that has this sort of functionality before spawning a gaggle of separate workbenches.

Thank you!

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +26

You can use a FeatureHolder to excercise some control over this.

If you write using a FeatureWriter it'll output one summary feature, so the summary from path 1 and the trigger for path 2 go into a FeatureHolder, which waits until all features have arrived before passing them on to path 2

Badge +1

You can use a FeatureHolder to excercise some control over this.

If you write using a FeatureWriter it'll output one summary feature, so the summary from path 1 and the trigger for path 2 go into a FeatureHolder, which waits until all features have arrived before passing them on to path 2

Perfect! I'll try to configure that today. I appreciate the help!

Userlevel 5
Badge +28

Another option is the FeatureFlowValve which I like to use a lot

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

Another option is the FeatureFlowValve which I like to use a lot

That transformer's Help doesn't give too much info about its usage. Could you please give an example about how to use it?

Userlevel 5
Badge +28

That transformer's Help doesn't give too much info about its usage. Could you please give an example about how to use it?

It works sort of similar I guess to the feautre holder, however, you can use a feautre to open/close the process flow - below are a couple of examples where I find it handyimageI often use it in database workflows or chained workflows when thing needs to happen in a specific order or when certain conditions must be met or must not be met before the next step can process. For example performing user input validation against a dataset before kicking off the main process - any bad conditions are sent to the Value port and if any bad conditoins are met then I can ensure that no feautes will progress to the next step - it adds extra peace-of-mind.

If you want to get a good handle on what it does you can edit it and see how it's set up - it's pretty basic really.

Badge +1

Oh wow, I really like how the Valve control parameter works. That's definitely something I will keep in my mind, that will come in handy for sure. I appreciate the help :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

Thanks for the explanation! Now everything is more clear :) And yes, I believe is going to be useful for me in the future.

Thanks again!