Solved

Writing DWG groups

• 16 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +16
  • Contributor
  • 1425 replies

Hi,

I am trying to figure out why a translation that works fine on desktop is not working properly in FME Cloud.

I know that writing DWG groups is not possible directly from within FME and therefore I have defined the layer groups in the template file.

The job on FME Cloud fails (no errors in log) and even with log debug turned on no meaningful information is returned.

Last logfile line:

2020-10-16 16:06:28 | Processing AutoCAD File...

Does this have to do with FME Cloud instance? Does anybody have any good/bad experiences writing into DWG groups on FME Cloud? 

@markatsafe @daleatsafe @daveatsafe

icon

Best answer by jlutherthomas 19 October 2020, 18:59

View original

4 replies

Badge +9

We have found subtle differences between desktop and server when the operating systems differ. We are using desktop on Windows but our cloud server is Linux. Not sure if that has anything to do with your issue but worth ruling in or out.​

Badge +16

We have found subtle differences between desktop and server when the operating systems differ. We are using desktop on Windows but our cloud server is Linux. Not sure if that has anything to do with your issue but worth ruling in or out.​

I agree that some changes due to OS differences are to be expected. Annoyingly if I use a template without groups it works just fine, so obviously the grouping in the template is causing FME to stop the translation. I have never seen such big desktop/server differences before.

Badge +16

Opened a support case.

Badge +2

Just following up here as I have communicated with @itay​ through support.

When a job log ends abruptly, this often signifies a lack of memory to complete the job and the workspace gets killed.

On FME Server/Cloud, this can be confirmed through the fmeprocessmonitorengine.log file, where there will be  messages like 

Out of memory! Unable to satisfy request for memory.

To double confirm, looking at the peak memory usage for both workspaces (with and without a template) you can see the failing workspace uses 4.3gb memory at it's peak, which is too much for a Starter FME Cloud instances which is capped at 4gb, and you have to consider the footprint of FME Server itself (so a workspace isn't able to use 4gb to itself).

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 9.54.23 AM 

In this case, the solution will be to resize the instance to a Standard and try again.