Skip to main content

Hi, I have looked into several posts here but not really found similar results. I tried to write my DWG into a Map 3D dwg to for example write attributes like creation instance into my DWG which worked really well:

Writing attributes to AutoCAD User Properties (safe.com)

However, I want to be able to add / edit attributes for my features that are readable by Bentley Microstation . Every result I found is DGN but the format must be DWG. Is there any way to write attributes to a DWG which is readable in microstation? Result above has no attributes or properties so doesn't work. Originally the results I don't want in block but that rule can be bent so every single features can be a block if that is the only way. When I inspect my DWG in Microstation it doesnt have my written attributes, I can only see them in AutoCAD. I want similar like example: In my results with id and count doesnt exist in microstation and only geometry information can be found in properties.

imageLets say i have 3 points, all have StreetName StreetNo, I want written to DWG and be able to read those results in properties in Microstation. 

Read alot about maybe solving it with shared parameters or similar but have not succeeded.

Hi @clowncutie​, is there a particular reason you need to read DWG with attributes into Microstation as DWG? To my understanding, the DWG writer allows for user-defined attributes that let you write attribution out as object data, while the Microstation DGN writer doesn't allow for user-defined attributes. Instead, Microstation DGN accepts attributes in the form of tags (link goes to our format documentation). For more on Microstation tags, you can check out our article on Writing Microstation (DGN) Tags with FME.

So because of that difference (object data vs. dgn tags), I'm not sure I'd expect to be able to read DWG object data when imported directly into Microstation. Would it be a potential solution for you to convert DWG to DGN if the purpose is just for viewing?