Skip to main content
I am trying to work with LiDAR LAS files but am having an issue.  When FME reads the file or when I open it in inspector all I am getting is the bounding box of the points, what am I missing to work with the points themselves?

Thanks 
Hi,

Try using the pointcloudcoercer after the reader.

Hope this helps.
If this is the issue, perhaps this is the solution?:

If you open a LAS file in FME Universal Viewer it will be just a bounding box. You need to open it in FME Data Inspector.

I sometimes forget that FME Universal Viewer does not display 3D.
If this is the issue, perhaps this is the solution?:

If you open a LAS file in FME Universal Viewer it will be just a bounding box. You need to open it in FME Data Inspector.

I sometimes forget that FME Universal Viewer does not display 3D.

I tried your advice in my .LAS file and i did got only one point/feature..!!!

although it says "Building spatial index on point cloud with 11836391 points" which is the right number of my features in my original .LAS file

any adivce?

@swach

Even lower numbers on a big machine is slow to view. Spatial indexing takes a lot of time etc. Large clouds often do not show.

(i have been workin on pc AHN3 for a couple of days now, extracting height of centerlines of roads..)

If there is no real need to view the entire thing, i would not do it.

First thing i do when i acquire a LAZ/LAS is tile the thing ASAP...(takes hours of course...wait it out)

Using some grid ( i use for het AHN3 the TopTen Grid)

Now u can spatialy query the grid for some area of interest, using the featurereader to only get the required tiles and then use pointcloudprocessing on it.

Added benefit: u can use paralelprocessing when having consistent tiling.

Oh, and if u insist to view it, you have better result if u use an inspector trough a workbench. Drag the laz/las into the bench and connect a inspector. (at least that what i experienced)