Skip to main content

Does anyone have a way to Update or insert rather than have Writers that Delete and Insert. Something Oracle Merge? Thx

MERGE
Purpose

Use the MERGE statement to select rows from one or more sources for update or insertion into a table or view. You can specify conditions to determine whether to update or insert into the target table or view.

This statement is a convenient way to combine multiple operations. It lets you avoid multiple INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE DML statements.

MERGE is a deterministic statement. You cannot update the same row of the target table multiple times in the same MERGE statement.

Assuming loading into a database, and there is a format attribute called fme_db_operation which is at a feature level and can be defined as INSERT UPDATE DELETE. You just need to calculate the correct value and send to the writer.

Do a search to find articles, there are quite a few on the knowledge center

Assuming loading into a database, and there is a format attribute called fme_db_operation which is at a feature level and can be defined as INSERT UPDATE DELETE. You just need to calculate the correct value and send to the writer.

Do a search to find articles, there are quite a few on the knowledge center

P.s. when I say database, also formats such as Excel.

Hey Thx!! If I do not have fme_db_operation I assume I can add it with AttributeManager??

Hey Thx!! If I do not have fme_db_operation I assume I can add it with AttributeManager??

Exactly! Also if you us the UpdateDetector custom transformer it creates it for you.

I assume all db_operations apply to the full record. What if I only want to update one column? Do I have to get out all the other values to preserve them? I have been looking at a discussion using SQL on how to Update or Insert, an "Upsert" is managed in sqlite.

Is a plain update of one field possible with just a key and that field in the writer schema? That would not apply for an Upsert.

I assume all db_operations apply to the full record. What if I only want to update one column? Do I have to get out all the other values to preserve them? I have been looking at a discussion using SQL on how to Update or Insert, an "Upsert" is managed in sqlite.

Is a plain update of one field possible with just a key and that field in the writer schema? That would not apply for an Upsert.

To update one field you can have just that column defined on the output feature type. Also check that the feature type parameters are set correctly for updating geometry or not. As you said this wouldn't work for upsert.