Skip to main content

I’m unable to establish a connection to SDE after recently receiving a permanent license file from Safe.  I’ve tried connecting using several methods: connection files stored in 'C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Esri\Desktop10.8\ArcCatalog\’, connection file stored on a network directory; and typing in the database credentials. 

I was able to successfully use the same connection files while using the temporary license file provided and am not aware of any other changes in our IT environment.  I’ve also tried (unsuccessfully) to connect to other SQL databases in our Data Warehouse (outside the GIS environment) that contain tabular data and receive the same error message (shown in red below) which appears after selecting the ‘...’ under “Tables” in the Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb) Parameters dialog box that normally opens the list of feature classes/tables that can be added to the workspace.

‘Failed to retrieve feature types. An error occurred while attempting to retrieve the connection parameters from the connection file’ 

And from the log file: Failed to obtain any schemas from reader 'GEODATABASE_SDE' from 1 datasets. This may be due to invalid datasets or format accessibility issues due to licensing, dependencies, or module loading.’

I’m able to work with spreadsheets, shapefiles, .csv, and Esri FGDB without any issue but for some reason can’t access our Enterprise SDE database.  Any suggestions? TIA!

Hi @lvv.gis 

Which version of FME are you using? 

Assuming that you’ve tested the same connection files in ArcMap/Catalog or ArcGIS Pro?

I’m using FME v 24.0 and ArcDesktop 10.8.  Yes, the same connection files work in ArcMap/Desktop and Pro and previously worked in FME v24.0.  Thanks

Hi @lvv.gis 

How are you reading from / writing to the file geodatabase? 

Are you using the Esri Geodatabase (File GDB) format, or are you using the Esri Geodatabase (Open API) format? If you are using the Open API format, are you able to try switching over to the File GDB format and see what happens.

If you haven't already tried this, can you open the Reader / Writer Gallery and see if any of the Esri Geodatabase formats are now greyed out? 

If you are using a database connection for your SDE format in 2024, are you able to test that database connection out right from Tools --> FME Options --> Database Connections.

Lastly, do you see the same errors if you try using a FeatureReader / FeatureWriter?

Thanks for your suggestions.  I am able to read and write to a FGDB; I’m only experiencing issues reading and writing to SDE.  I experience the same issue when trying to connect to SDE from Tools>FME Options>Database Connections and both when I try to use SDE as a reader or a writer.

Hi @lvv.gis 

Which version of SDE are you using? 

Hi @lvv.gis 

It might be worthwhile to contact FME Customer Support so we can look into this further. 

If possible, please provide your log file in the ticket. Also, would you be able to test to see if you can connect using the underlying database in FME? Ie: if the backend database is SQL Server, test using the SQL Server reader.